Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

pws hierarchy

dblhelix

(is there something the matter with the off topic-forum - it only appears occasionally?)

this sounds more complicated than it is;

made a model, saved it. made others, saved them.

started a new model in order to assemble these previous models into one.

when assembling, ideas take progress back and forth in basic workflow

- i make changes in components and expect them to travel to the end product.

and they don't. i've just decaled the headband of a crown, but the headband

of the assembled crown didn't update.

is this a group dependent thing?

= when i initially dragged the "headband" into a new model window, all that

comes up is the group "headband". if decaling in the component window, decals

place above groups.

how do i work to avoid this?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you drag a model into another model, you're making a copy of the original model as part of a separate model. You're copying and pasting, basically.

To assemble different bits that reference the source like you want, you'll want to assemble them in an action. IE, make a new action with the character, then drag the crown into that action, position it on his head, and constrain it to his head with "translate to" and "orient like" constraints.

I don't know if 'drag-n-drop' works from model to model... maybe I am wrong- I never did it that way. What I do, is use copy/paste. So- copy the headband from the source model- and paste it into the destination model... you 'should' see the geometry in the model window AND the group(s) appear in the destination models PWS. Also, the paste operation typically places the geometry 10 units lower in Y space... so dirctly after your cntrl-V...do a shift arrowUP. Save often when copy-pasting.

• Hash Fellow

To make sure I understand...

You made Model A and dragged that into model B.

Then you added a decal to model A but this change doesn't show up in model B?

That is normal. The stuff you dragged into Model B becomes part of Model B and no longer looks back to Model A for information.

• Hash Fellow

If you dragged A into B and B then kept referring to A, what would happen if you dragged B into A?

You'd get some sort of time warp or black hole and the universe would be over I think.

• Admin
(is there something the matter with the off topic-forum - it only appears occasionally?)

I'll guess you don't always log into the forum as you are browsing the latest and greatest topics?

The Off Topic forum always appears if you are logged into the forum.

Conversely, it does not appear when you are not logged in.

Benefits of membership. :)

Benefits of membership. :)

oh i get that, what puzzles is that it doesn't come up after login, but after a while!

if i post, it appears, but if reading (click a thread > click "Hash Inc Forums" on top of page)

it might take a couple of threads/clicks to surface.

so good thing i got to post, gotta read robcat on Win7 - preparing a temporary move

to a quad monstahh :ninja:

• Admin
oh i get that, what puzzles is that it doesn't come up after login, but after a while!

if i post, it appears, but if reading (click a thread > click "Hash Inc Forums" on top of page)

it might take a couple of threads/clicks to surface.

That's very odd. I've never heard of anyone having that problem before.

Perhaps it's a browser cache thing or... you may have inadvertently set a forum topic filter that hides it?

(I once took Hash Inc to task for missing posts only to discover I'd set my filters wrong at the bottom of the page)

When reading forum content I highly recommend using the "View New Posts link up on the top right of the page. That'll keep bumping up all the topics you haven't read or aren't up to date on.

That's very odd. I've never heard of anyone having that problem before.

Perhaps it's a browser cache thing or... you may have inadvertently set a forum topic filter that hides it?

odd: the next study session after posting (maybe an hour later?), i couldn't see any uploaded content;

jpg's are usually right there without login, now remarkably absent. i simply chose to take it personally :D

and ignored it. next session, 2hrs? later - jpg's were back.

introducing surfer's OCD; i clean cache compulsively mid session.

i prefer the "today's active topics" link here.

looked for filters, could not locate them, don't know what they are. haven't touched any of that stuff backstage.

but if it's only my explorer - no oddities, sorry for the trouble..