Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

virtual to reality

OK so, for the past 3 months ive been working on this project for a friend of mine

he is going to be building an apartment in his basement and came to me as a cheaper alternative to a architect.

first half was taking measurements (got about 6 pages worth), then i had to get the base drawings down (took me weeks!). now im finally up to building the model to scale.

theres 2 more steps before i complete this project.

next step is to get full size renders of the finished basement.

then is to design a program for a virtual walkthru of the basement.

right now im doing the test renders of the finished basement.

wanted to get some opinions and ideas on the best way to render this.

living_room0.jpgbasement_living_large0.jpg

this is the best renders as of right now.

i am using radiosity to get the most realistic renders possible

settings.jpg

these are the settings im using.

the camera is just using multipass 25

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like those!

My one practical suggestion would be to not do an "L" couch for the TV room.

the couch is not my choice this is all my friends idea. his house his choices. i just build what he tells what he wants it to look like

Sorry I can't help out with the rendering stuff.

One question I would ask is whether the lighting matches what he will actually have on that level? It looks potentially better lit than many basements I've seen.

And where is the wet bar?

not sure if there's going to be a bar but hey the new person moving is a drinker so who knows lol

and yes i placed the lights as of where he is asking the electrician to installing them. 1 in every room and 3 in the main room (pool area, living room, gym area)

total of 6 lights.

I've been working on the renders as i keep adding more decorations. since i want to get this as close as possible to what the finish product is going to be.

this is the top view of the basement.

basement_top0.jpg

Are you asking why the counter top has so much maroon in it?

If you are using Radiosity, the maroon color is coming from the walls.

If you are using IBL, the IBL image has some magenta in it.

Otherwise, you have a magenta light somewhere.

The bed looks like you entered some values for specularity. Make sure all specular settings are "not set".

I'm running on a pretty old machine since my new machine is down. This is on a 2 ghz amd 64. Average time for a 800x600 is about 2 hours.

How is the virtual rendering software coming? Also, is the couch modeled after an actual couch that is going into the apartment? Like from a vendor? If you go all out maybe you can walk away with a designed truckload for a standard apartment decor, shipped from somewhere cheap! Also, I think you mentioned a gym. Can you hit a tennis ball off of the wall for exercise? That's what I'd like to do... without upsetting anybody.

I'm running on a pretty old machine since my new machine is down. This is on a 2 ghz amd 64. Average time for a 800x600 is about 2 hours.

How is the virtual rendering software coming? Also, is the couch modeled after an actual couch that is going into the apartment? Like from a vendor? If you go all out maybe you can walk away with a designed truckload for a standard apartment decor, shipped from somewhere cheap! Also, I think you mentioned a gym. Can you hit a tennis ball off of the wall for exercise? That's what I'd like to do... without upsetting anybody.

Actually, I had a friend in elementary school (actually he was too cool to be my friend we'll call him Brent Alcorn for rendering purposes, BUT!!!) who had a trampoline in his dining room. Waterbed, cool stereo, place to play basketball (foyer), trampoline...I never met his parents.

The software is still on the table. Got to figure out the format i want to go with because I had some idea for it but don't want to release anything yet because there might he some money involved and maybe a design patent. The couch is actually a modified version of a lazy-boy couch sofa set. The update Version actually reclines which ill be posting next week in the freebies section. The gym is an actual full size gym with weight sets dumbbells and other equipment. These are still drafts nowhere near done. I got a year to finish this project.