sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Started drawing again

OK, I bought a Cintiq 12WX and the "Chaos and Evolution" DVD by David Revoy from another store (I liked this artists approach to character design) that covered off some different ways of getting inspiration using different software and a basic tute on drawing and colouring for character design.

Now this is NOT totally original work - it is based on David Revoy's "Water horse" design with some bits and pieces changed (I only did the head) to make the character less edgy and more 'cute'. I'm hoping to model and texture it as well (in AM). Happy to get critiques.

Cheers

waterhorse_head.png

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys. The cintiq is great but the screen colour on a mac leaves a lot to be desired. Had to run the adobe advanced colour setup just to get it close but event then it was 'dull'. Turning up the brightness just made everythinug redder..... Default colour seems much better on my Windows 7 Laptop. The 12" cintiq is an ideal companion to a laptop (except for all the cabling - interface box etc). If I could afford it (and if one was actually available), I would have got the 21" to complement the iMac.

Colour aside, I find the cintiq a boon. I've had pen tablets for years but just couldn't get proper eye/pen coordination going looking at a screen while my hand was somewhere else. Now its all natural :)

Cheers

• Hash Fellow
Colour aside, I find the cintiq a boon. I've had pen tablets for years but just couldn't get proper eye/pen coordination going looking at a screen while my hand was somewhere else. Now its all natural :)

that's the truth. I found myself re-doing each stroke about four or five times with a tablet.

I got a 18" Cintiq off ebay a couple of years ago and like it quite a bit.

I found it had a rather brownish cast to its color by default. Maybe they are trying to be like paper? But I've cranked the blue on my color control panel undo that some.

My main complaint is the lag between the pen and the cursor.

Yes, I read a lot about this lag but on the 12" Cintiq I haven't detected it as yet (although if I make a very fast stroke it takes a split second for the pointer to catch up - but I'm not sure this is the Cintiq since it is difficult to match such fast strokes with the mouse pointer). I've used it with Gimp 2, Photoshop Elements 7, and ArtRage 3 so far. The drawing above was done in Gimp by the way.

On the 12" there is a boundary area where the pointer is a little 'off' (about 1/2" all the way round) Its a jitter thing. The other thing is calibration. I find that pointing on the calibration spots does not calibrate the pointer to match the position of the pen near the edges. I have to experiment by touching up to 1/4" off the calibration points to get the pen to align well all over the screen (edge to edge)