Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Knight Falls

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, thanks Holmes! I learned from you, guys! Animating this with FK was really painful but it's a good experience. W&F animation? Oh yeah, that would be nice. I've got to think something really simple though.

That looks really good. One thing I noticed is maybe you should have the feet hang at the window sill and let the hands hit the bench instead of dropping both the same time. This should make him look more off balance and more like an accident.

Very well done!

• Hash Fellow

Here are two biggies I notice... :)

-The hop from the window sill to the bench is too slow. He's just floating down.

-When he stands at the end, the foot he's got his weight on can't slide. He starts out putting his weight on the left foot so he should have his mass over that foot and drag his right foot forward if he need sot adjust his stance.

That looks really good. One thing I noticed is maybe you should have the feet hang at the window sill and let the hands hit the bench instead of dropping both the same time. This should make him look more off balance and more like an accident.

Good idea!, that would've made it funnier. I had to key the bicep/forearm/hands on every frames when they're supposed to be holding onto something so it's seems very complicated to change poses. If I move the torso, the hands will change their position. I could export the present chor action into action and add new animation to it in a new chor. I didn't have much luck combining the action and new chor for this project though. I'm sure I could do that with older AM. Maybe it's just this project file being weird or me.

largento Posted Today, 04:30 PM

Nice job!

TheSpleen Posted Today, 03:19 PM

lol enjoyed it

Hey thanks! :)

Hey, i swear i cloud hear the clanking as he fell, nice job

Oh yeah? I wanted a clank sound too. I banged my pots and pans but I couldn't make them sound good (maybe it's because he fell on a wooden bench so it didn't really fit). So I settled with wood thunk and added some reverb in Vegas.

Here are two biggies I notice...

Here it comes...

-The hop from the window sill to the bench is too slow. He's just floating down.

You got that right, Robert. I noticed that one too. Here's the long story. I didn't animate the knight anticipation before he jumped, thinking that I could do that later. I was concern about animating the crawling and turning. The original plan was the knight would place one of his foot on the window, look around, then jump. As I animated, I created alot of keys just to keep the hands in place (FK). When I tried to shift the timing and add the anticipation animation, everything just fell apart. I suspected it could be caused by a model bone or some other bones I wasn't aware of. So without the anticipation, the knight just zipped through and the audience would miss the fall. So I had to settle with the little hold as he fell. I could only think of making a new chor for the anticipation and stitch two renders in post.

-When he stands at the end, the foot he's got his weight on can't slide. He starts out putting his weight on the left foot so he should have his mass over that foot and drag his right foot forward if he need sot adjust his stance.

Hm, but he's pushing himself backward though. I think yours is when you're pushing yourself forward or staying in place, right? Originally, I had the knight also slided his right foot backward as he put his hands on his waist but it didn't look good to me. I think it's because his legs looked thin from that particular view.

• Hash Fellow
Hm, but he's pushing himself backward though.

He's got two feet sliding simultaneously. Try standing and sliding both feet simultaneously. It's impossible unless you're on some sort of frictionless floor and that would have to be established somehow in the visual narrative.

Here are

. Watch that whole routine. They actually CAN slide both feet at once, but it's a lot of work. They've got the strength of 10 men in each leg.

In normal circumstances one foot or the other has got to stay put. You can move them alternately, but you can can't move both at once even for a frame.

Looking good! Nice atmosphere and sense of movement. A little floaty in some places, but really good!

Thank you. Yeah, I've fixed the jump float. I want to add some objects that the knight will hit as he falls. Any suggestion what object will fly in the air. A shield is too heavy isn't it? Is there a light shield?

Okay, fixed the things according to your suggestions.

I made one of his foot tripped on the window.

Made him fall faster.

Made his right foot not slide forward as he got up.

I also noticed that his hand and knee were intersecting in some frames so I fixed those too.

Lesson learned: Touch up and polish takes up considerable time.

I think it looks better. Thanks for the great tips!

Knight_Falls_06_09_Hash.mov