sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Fill hole

urbssenator

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I havent looked at it but if your missing patches on the model then perhaps they are 5 point spots. If they involve 6 or more points you'll need to break the mesh at those spots and rework it so you have 4 or 5 point patches.

• Admin

Remy,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to guess you've brought this in from another program.

Perhaps more important than filling holes is the fact that you can get away with using only about 20% of those splines.

If you want to animate him you really want to get to a place where you have a good economy of splines.

An added benefit to reducing splines is that it'll help you deal with and close any holes. (if using only A:M you likely don't even need to close some holes) I assume you mean at the end of places like the nose and hat, but I've indicated places (in red)where you'll have other more important concerns. (Note: I haven't indicated them all)

These areas have a poly-minded flow that will not work well at all.

They will need to be reworked.

Spline continuity-wise you've got something of a mess but... all in all its a nice smurf! :)

poly.jpg

• Admin

Here is an example of the hat reworked.

You could have more or fewer splines depending on your needs but this one is based on a 8 spline cylinder.

In this case I've capped the end with what I'd call a basketball style. While its optimum to stick with four point patches in this case it leads me to use four three point patches on the top and bottom of the four point patches.

*Apologies for messing with your hat... I accidently tweaked it while trying to remove it from the smurf mesh.

One never knows when you'll want a smurf to remove his hat. ;)

Edit: Uploaded the model file.

low_spline.jpg

hat.mdl