sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

image sequence decal not working

jason1025

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know it's been used successfully before.

The decal has a property somewhere for frame currently shown. Try setting keyframes on that.

smart idea.

I have the same image applied in the same spot twice but one is for ambiance and one is for color. It gives me the look I want but I think this may be adding to the problem. Is there another method?

• Hash Fellow

The decal has a property somewhere for frame currently shown. Try setting keyframes on that.

smart idea.

I have the same image applied in the same spot twice but one is for ambiance and one is for color. It gives me the look I want but I think this may be adding to the problem. Is there another method?

Do you really need the image to do ambiance? Couldn't you just set the surface to an ambiance %?

Not that two decals shouldn't work as well as one.

The only place I can find the "Frame" Option is in the objects not the shortcuts to the objects in the chor. Its my understanding that only objects/properties in the chor can be keyed.

What am I missing?

Also Robert can I give you a call?

smart idea.

Do you really need the image to do ambiance? Couldn't you just set the surface to an ambiance %?

Not that two decals shouldn't work as well as one.

Yes I think. The image sequence represents the screen of the monitor. So the Screen needs to be brighter than the monitor itself. However I guess I could remodel the model so that I could isolate a group specifically where the screens image sequence is and then raise the ambient intensity for that group.

• Hash Fellow
The only place I can find the "Frame" Option is in the objects not the shortcuts to the objects in the chor. Its my understanding that only objects/properties in the chor can be keyed.

What am I missing?

Show more than decals?

Also Robert can I give you a call?
yeah , have you got Skype? I'm rholmen. Send a contact request.

Here is specifically what I am doing. I have the image sequence decal ed twice, one as color and one ambiance.

Now that I think about it. Do I really need to use the same image sequence for the ambiance? It seems like a waste of resources because the computer has to buffer all those extra frames. Cant I use a pure gray or white single decal and get the same effect for Ambiance? I am not sure of the results because the image sequence has the unique images for everyimage regarding ambience, but is it necessary or is it negatively impacting me anyways because of the variations in the image sequence?

• Hash Fellow
Here is specifically what I am doing. I have the image sequence decal ed twice, one as color and one ambiance.

Now that I think about it. Do I really need to use the same image sequence for the ambiance?

The standard route for a TV screen is to put the image decal on the screen surface and set the screen to 100% ambiance. That works. You'd have to show me a case where that is not appropriate.

It seems like a waste of resources because the computer has to buffer all those extra frames. Cant I use a pure gray or white single decal and get the same effect for Ambiance? I am not sure of the results because the image sequence has the unique images for everyimage regarding ambience, but is it necessary or is it negatively impacting me anyways because of the variations in the image sequence?
If you can't remodel your screen to the dimensions of your image then a still frame decal for ambiance would be the way to make just the image part luminous.

What am I missing?

Show more than decals?

That would be the Show More Than *Drivers* button.

show_more_than_drivers.png

Now that I think about it. Do I really need to use the same image sequence for the ambiance?

The standard route for a TV screen is to put the image decal on the screen surface and set the screen to 100% ambiance. That works. You'd have to show me a case where that is not appropriate.

It seems like a waste of resources because the computer has to buffer all those extra frames. Cant I use a pure gray or white single decal and get the same effect for Ambiance? I am not sure of the results because the image sequence has the unique images for everyimage regarding ambience, but is it necessary or is it negatively impacting me anyways because of the variations in the image sequence?
If you can't remodel your screen to the dimensions of your image then a still frame decal for ambiance would be the way to make just the image part luminous.

I am not on skipe. I will have to look into that.

OPTION A: So your saying the "Group" aka the models surface property that is the screen is normally set to 100% Ambiance when doing the TV screen model when not using a decal to drive ambience?

OPTION B: So you are also saying my method of using the image sequence twice one for color and one as ambiance is not standard practice in regards to driving ambiance VIA decals?. You say to Just use a single white decal to drive the ambiance when using the decal method?

It sounds like you're overcomplicating the process. If you need a "lit screen" effect you can just turn the ambience of the screen group to 100%. Like robert said, unless you have a very specific effect you're trying to achieve, using the decal for ambience is probably overkill.

Have you gotten the animated decal to run with "show more than drivers"?

• Hash Fellow
OPTION A: So your saying the "Group" aka the models surface property that is the screen is normally set to 100% Ambiance when doing the TV screen model when not using a decal to drive ambience?
Yes. This makes the decal not get shadowed by anything and not need any particular light on it,

OPTION B: So you are also saying my method of using the image sequence twice one for color and one as ambiance is not standard practice in regards to driving ambiance VIA decals?. You say to Just use a single white decal to drive the ambiance when using the decal method?
Yes and yes. If you use the image decal to drive ambiance, then white will be white, but a 50% gray driven by 50% ambiance will only render 25% gray. 50% gray with 100% ambience will be 50% gray, which is what you want.

It sounds like you're overcomplicating the process. If you need a "lit screen" effect you can just turn the ambience of the screen group to 100%. Like robert said, unless you have a very specific effect you're trying to achieve, using the decal for ambience is probably overkill.

Have you gotten the animated decal to run with "show more than drivers"?

Yes, thank you. Good advise

Yes. This makes the decal not get shadowed by anything and not need any particular light on it,

Yes and yes. If you use the image decal to drive ambiance, then white will be white, but a 50% gray driven by 50% ambiance will only render 25% gray. 50% gray with 100% ambience will be 50% gray, which is what you want.

Robert. I cant thank you enough for your help. Image sequences have never been reliable for me when rendering. I fallowed your idea about keying the "frame" option for each frame. Then I got smarter and keyed over time witch is what you meant. This worked flawlessly. Image sequences are 100% reliable with this method.