Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Major problem Rotoscope

detbear

I've used Hash since 2000, but this is the most major problem I've ever had. PLEASE HELP WITH THIS:

I'm using Hash for a production. At one point I set up choreographies with my own frame counters in the form of image files per frame as rotoscopes in the camera...(single camera in each chor)

I erased those rotoscopes to move on in production, but now all of a sudden...when I load these choreographies there are a zillion folders that load into the PWS. So many that the files are huge and I can't navigate without taking 10 or more minutes to erase all of them....

The folders...all one zillion of them are named "Rotoscopes"

This has made it nearly impossible to work on the production.

I'm at the anger point

William

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the answer to your question but I have experienced something like you describe in the past.

Have you tried opening your model file in a text editor and deleting all the empty folders?

What version of are you using? A:M improved alot since 2000.

Hey Paul... I'm using Version 15. However ...I started the project in 14. Maybe that's the problem. I remember after I erased the rotoscopes from the camera..it coming back and asking for them. But I had rid my files of the rotoscope images. That was a bad choice....

As you suspect, I think it's attempting to load images and not finding them. As a result, it seems to spit a bunch of empty folders into the PWS in reaction.

I've never opened a model in the text editor. I'm not sure which model to open.

William

Someone mentioned a problem like this just a few days ago. Your having previously deleted a rotoscope is a new clue.

I found several models from those choreographies which seemingly have been infected like a virus with these folders. I found this by opening them up in word pad..

Now...if you load them into other choreographies....Wamooo the folders arrive.

IT IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM for me...that has the potential of shutting my production down... It's like an infection that grows.

William

• Hash Fellow
Someone mentioned a problem like this just a few days ago. Your having previously deleted a rotoscope is a new clue.

I found several models from those choreographies which seemingly have been infected like a virus with these folders. I found this by opening them up in word pad..

Now...if you load them into other choreographies....Wamooo the folders arrive.

IT IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM for me...that has the potential of shutting my production down... It's like an infection that grows.

William

Skype me on this

Is it possible that A:M is looking for files/images that were on a USB memory stick at the time the model was created?

I guess that you have already tried changing the images?

Hey... Thanks Paul and Robert for your help.... I found a fix for this puzzle in the text editor(word pad).

Open the Model or choreography with this problem in the text editor and there are a zillion tag lines called "" erase these and they will no longer come up in the PWS.

I think this needs further investigation to find out how this all gets started, but it is solveable using this method.

William

• 8 months later...

I'm seeing this problem and tried the solution to no avail. I load the project again after deleting the ROTOCONTAINER tags and they just come back. You can delete the folders from the PWS. I haven't been able to narrow it down much, but it does seem to be related to bringing in older models into the project.

Anyone else figure out what's going on with these rotoscope folders?

Bob

Thats strange, is it just a 14 issue? I have never seen it in 15 here and I started with 15 so I can't judge on it.

As for file management I make a local folder and copy everything I need for that project in that folder. This makes it easier for me to archive files.

Maybe it's extra work but something I got used to doing from my service bureau days before programs had features like collect for output.

Wonder if doing something like that would prevent this from happening?

• Hash Fellow
I'm seeing this problem and tried the solution to no avail. I load the project again after deleting the ROTOCONTAINER tags and they just come back.

Do you have models or any other assets in the PRJ that are saved external to the PRJ? They may be the location of the odd rotos.

I'm seeing this problem and tried the solution to no avail. I load the project again after deleting the ROTOCONTAINER tags and they just come back. You can delete the folders from the PWS. I haven't been able to narrow it down much, but it does seem to be related to bringing in older models into the project.

Anyone else figure out what's going on with these rotoscope folders?

Bob

I haven't had this problem in several years, but it used to occur when I imported rotoscopes into a model to help with the modeling, then forgot to delete them from the model when I was finished with them.

As far as I remember, you have to open each Model,Choreography and Action which the Project loads (as well as the project file itself) in a text editor and delete the tags in EVERY file. You have to do this for every file the project loads, and you have to do it in a text editor.

I will add that one also has to check material files (besides action, & model files) with a text editor for phantom rotocontainer crap (and post effect, and choraction crap as well)

How I believe in some instances how it has happened, even with models NOT brought in from previous versions is - that if you have a chor open, that has a rotoscope and you change a model and save it while the chor is open (or in the project) - the model (or action, or material) will possibly get corrupted.

Typicially what I do if I want to save my changed model, I first 1) delete the chor (that has a roto), 2) and if a phantom rotoscope folder shows up - delete that too and then 3) save the model 4) then bring chor back in.

I believe it is still happening in ver 15...as phantom rotos show up in pws after deleting chor. I have not checked in 15g (but it happens in 15e)

• Hash Fellow

If someone could come up with a series of steps that actually cause this to happen it would probably get fixed real quick.

If you're on Windows you can do a search for all files that contain a text string. That would be a quick way to find them.

I already know of this problem If you have three files with three container in them and bring them in to a project as soon as you save them each file will have nine container each. It dose not do a good job of cleaning them out. And the purge plug-in dose not work ether.

If you think you have got them all and open the project and get the same problem then you missed some files so don't save. Close it down and start looking for any file you may have missed.

Also you can start a new project and add the files one by one. To check witch files you have missed.

And to help you speed thing up you may want to use notepad++ http://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/

I tried to find an INI's editor but the only one I have found was a old one set up for a game. to bad we don't have one set up for A::M files it would make it a lot easyer to fix and clean up the files.