sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Surface constraint

robcat2075

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

Never mind. I got it to work a bit.

However, I'm finding the constrained object is following a jagged straight line path over the surface rather than following the actual surface curve.

this is an onionskin screen shot

surfCon.jpg

Anyone know what's up with that?

It could be that the bone that contacts the surface loses contact? There's an old project that I put together here...it's a four-wheeled cart that uses surface constraints to keep the wheels on the ground. A better setup was put together by Mark Skodacek, here.

Hope that helps, Robert.

• Hash Fellow
It could be that the bone that contacts the surface loses contact? There's an old project that I put together here...it's a four-wheeled cart that uses surface constraints to keep the wheels on the ground. A better setup was put together by Mark Skodacek, here.

Hope that helps, Robert.

Thanks David, that's a neat set up.

I'm not sure I can see it on yours, but I think the surface constraint really follows a four-subdivision-per-spline approximation of the surface rather than the actual patch surface. That's what the tests I've tried so far indicate.

This is a bone following the surface of a 3-cross-section lathed cylinder

surfcon2.jpg

edit:

subdividing the cylinder into 16 sections didn't help. the constrained bone is still moving in straight line paths, about 4 sections per 90° turn.

surfcon04.jpg

I'd be curious to see if anyone can load this test PRJ and get a different result.

SurfConTest.zip

• Developer
I'm not sure I can see it on yours, but I think the surface constraint really follows a four-subdivision-per-spline approximation of the surface rather than the actual patch surface. That's what the tests I've tried so far indicate.

It's fixed for V15.f

15f.jpg

• Hash Fellow

It's fixed for V15.f

15f.jpg

Cool! I was thinking I might be crazy. The thing I thought was really odd was that increasing the patch density didn't reduce the straightline jagginess.