Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

in betweening and key frames

banditsgirl

I have a student in my class that is trying to create a simple action. Everything looks correct except that none of her movements are being recorded as key frames. In 10 years I haven't had this issue come up. Usually when my students animate an action, it's a pretty user friendly process...change the cell number, move the bone..ta da...but for her, something just isn't working. I'll attempt to attached the files here.

logo.prj

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I'm afraid the files in your project (the characters etc) didn't get attached.

You'll have to either embed the models or collect them into a Zip file to share.

The first thing I'd check is to make sure the 'Animate' button up on the upper right of the toolbar menu isn't unchecked.

If it is select it. If Animate mode is off no keyframes will be set.

If you know how to capture your screen perhaps you can share that?

On a PC you can grab the screen by pressing the Print Screen (PRT SCR) key and pasting that into any program that will accept pasted images (Windows Paint for instance).

If your screen resolution is set too low (like mine, 1024 x 768), the "A" button doesn't show up but it is just to the right of the handcuffs-like icon (define relationships). You have to pull that menu bar (the manipulator bar) down and out to get to it.

• 1 month later...

continuation of the no keyframe problem, each time I ty to animate any sequence, I don't appear to have added any Keyframes or just can't see them (?)

I have been trying to complete Ex. 6 the doors stuck,but I just can't seem to stick appropriate key frames in.

I have tried to follow the various examples in previous video tutorials, plus the above thread.

To add a new key frame, I am making sure nothing in the window is selected, then typing the frame number in and hitting return, I am in animation mode.

I have attached a screen shot of what I am doing.

Once complete, the animation doesn't behave the way I expect ( that could be just me), but using the forward and backward keyframe step buttons indicate no keyframes.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Moth

post-12650-1237314763_thumb.png

• Hash Fellow

After reading your post a bit more carefully, I think I spotted the problem... :o

To add a new key frame, I am making sure nothing in the window is selected, then typing the frame number in and hitting return, I am in animation mode.

You want something selected when you make a keyframe, typically the same something you want to create a keyframe for.

Still watch my vid though. ;)

After reading your post a bit more carefully, I think I spotted the problem... :o

After watching your video, I think I also spotted my problem, didn't realise that every bone requires it's own keyframe on it's own timeline, whether you're trying to control it, moving or not.

I noted you like to select all the bones that you think you are going to need, at the beginning, what happens after a couple of hours of input, you discover one misbehaving bone, that wasn't part of the original selection.

again thanks for the links to the toots, very clear.

Moth

• Hash Fellow
After watching your video, I think I also spotted my problem, didn't realise that every bone requires it's own keyframe on it's own timeline, whether you're trying to control it, moving or not.

You only need to create "timelines" for bones that will have animation at some point. You can see all the bones that have keys in the chor in the PWS whether you have them selected at the moment or not.

I noted you like to select all the bones that you think you are going to need, at the beginning, what happens after a couple of hours of input, you discover one misbehaving bone, that wasn't part of the original selection.

Presuming it was in its default position until then... go back to 0 and force a keyframe on it, then go to the last frame where you still wanted it to still be in that default position and force another keyframe on it. Remember to zero slope those two keyframes. Then start animating as usual.