sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Importing models

Master chief

Ok heres my deal, i use a program to extract a model from a game , the program saves it into a format usable by a program called 3d studio max, when it loads into max the models akin to perfect , ie surfaces are nice , colors are accurate, and hey there are even textures , now when i save the model in a format usable by AM ".3ds" it loads in about 1 min and as said above looks like it went through a blender , the main form is still there but thats about all that there is ,

also i will try and upload a pic soon as due to a system change i currently cant access AM

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You cant import something worse than 3ds... Try to use OBJ-formats with QUADs... that may turn out well, if the model is designed well (nice edgeloops, etc.)

But you got a problem there: Gamemodels are highly optimised to create a nice look from very few polygones. Normally that isnt bad, because A:M can handle smaller Patchcounts better than very high once, but it although means, that the polygones are most often not well layouted, because well layouted Polygones mean often "unnecessary" polygones which are usually very fast eliminated for better game-performances.

So basicly: You can try it, but I am quite sure it wont work out well...

Quad-models / formats like OBJs, which have lowpolycounts but well layouted polygones are usually coming in quite nicely... but if they are well layouted or not is often not necessary for polygon-modellers (however it is always good to layout polygones well as well ;) ).

So if the model is nice and exported as Quads, it will be okay and you will have only afew things to get it working, if not, it is more or less without hope.

*Fuchur*