Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

First effort

digman

I've had A.M. now for 3 weeks. Watching and reading tutorials here at the forums as helped me to better understand spline/patch modeling. Thanks all! I come from box polygon modeling before getting A.M.

The biggest lesson I learned so far is spline continuity. Then the limited but usefull use of 5 point patches (knowing when to use them or not) and hooks. I still have got lots to learn but here is the wip so far. The creature is not tweaked on his anatomy, no reference used, just started at the feet and worked up from there to help learn spline modeling. Oh yeah, no head yet LOL.

post-12378-1227133196_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

That looks like you've go the spline continuity thing figured out!

One item... most rigs presume you model the "palms" down rather than forward like you have. That may or may not be a major issue, but something to keep an eye out for.

Thanks all for the encouragement. At first, anything I did, looked like tangled fisherman lines and I could not make heads or tails out of splines. LOL. This is pretty much the final model, made be some tweaking here and there. I bought 3dpainter so now off to texturing.

post-12378-1227540929_thumb.jpg

post-12378-1227540951_thumb.jpg

• Hash Fellow
This is pretty much the final model, made be some tweaking here and there. I bought 3dpainter so now off to texturing.

You might consider rigging before texturing. Rigging sometimes shows a need to change/move splines which would undo some of your texturing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I completed the normal map for the creature. I used 3Dcoat to make the displacement map and then saved it out as a normal map. I did not push the displacement too far because the original geometry was not detail enough for a normal map to do it justice. I included a screen grab from 3dcoat of the displacement. A.M. Master's display of the normal map works quite well. A.M. is a great program and I have only began to learn it's tools.

P.S. The normal map is applied to the A.M. model, not an imported obj.

post-12378-1228250722_thumb.jpg

post-12378-1228250781_thumb.jpg