sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Importing Models

TwilightPrincess08

I'm extremely knew at all of this, but I was wondering how you import model files into A:M. I have some Twilight Princess models I downloaded that included the model and texture files and I would really appreciate it if someone could explain step-by-step how to import the model and get the textures on it. I've tried, and it says it can't import the model. I believe the file is compatible with A:M, they're .3Ds files and the textures are .tga files. Thanks in advance! :)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to the forums! If by 3Ds files you mean 3DS Max, you won't be able to import them as fully functioning models. A:M's patches aren't compatible with the polygons used by Max, Maya and other 3D apps.

You'll need to use models that are created specifically for A:M. The only way A:M will import poly models is as "props", which can't be manipulated as a regular model is.

I hope this helps!

Hi and welcome to the forums! If by 3Ds files you mean 3DS Max, you won't be able to import them as fully functioning models. A:M's patches aren't compatible with the polygons used by Max, Maya and other 3D apps.

You'll need to use models that are created specifically for A:M. The only way A:M will import poly models is as "props", which can't be manipulated as a regular model is.

I hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the reply! As for the 3Ds file, I'm not really sure if it's specifically a 3DS Max file. I've been importing the models and textures into a program called Anim8or, and they work fine for the most part. And I'm sorry if I'm not very clear! I really don't know much about using 3D programs. But thank you for the information, I can at least say I learned something new! :D

• Hash Fellow

Welcome to A:M! :)

A:M really works best with models made in A:M. As Gerry noted, the difference between A:M patches and the polygons that other programs use is pretty significant.

It is possible to import a .3DS file but they are rarely built in the same way that A:M models are so they usually aren't very useful. Models of characters tend to be overly complex. The .3DS import option was mainly intended for simpler objects that don't need to be animated like characters are.

The usual way to import a .3DS file is to do File>plugins>import>3D Studio then choose the file.

If it works it may take a long time to finish. Some 3DS files may not work.

But i'll note again that character models are usually bad candidates for importing. They are almost impossible to rig and animate. If you're new to 3D you don't want to make this your first project. It would be too frustrating. :o

Another way to import 3DS files is to right-click on the Objects folder in the ProjectWorkSpace and choose Import>Prop

This tends to look better than the first method but this "prop" version can't be rigged or edited. it's intended for simple objects like furniture of something a character might hold in his hand.

Have you tried the introductory exercises in "The Art of A:M" yet? It really is more fun making your own models in A:M than using someone else's.

I wouldnt recommend 3ds-files... it uses triangles, not quads and that is gonna kill any attempts to import them properly.

OBJ-files are a little better because it uses quads, but you will have to do some rework here to.

But if the model is well layouted in the polygon-programm it will be possible... (good Edgeloops, etc.)

In the end: If you are able to do the model by yourself in A:M, I highly recommend to learn how to do it and do it in A:M.

It is just less upsetting...

See you

*Fuchur*