Hash, Inc. Forums

Greenscreen

I 've been looking at some green screen tutorial on youtube and I thought I animation Gala doing the

can can dance on my table. I done a short gala cancan dance and put the whole brackground in green

then once the animation is done rendering I open made a short video clip of my table and exproted them

into a chromakey software and this is what I came up with I'm still learning the other programe I was trying to see if this would be better then the motion tracking software.

Gala_cancan_dance.mov

• Hash Fellow
I was looking to render her in alpha channel in AM how you do that ?

in your render options choose a render format that supports alpha channels (targa sequence, or "Animation" codec in Quicktime)

and turn Alpha ON under Buffers

Thank you robcat I set the alpha channel when rendering on both programs they still need to be cleaned up a little. I have a couple of short walking clips here, no earthquake this time....LOL I probley need to add a shadow on her man when you got the lighting setting differnt it dose sure change to color of the character.

Gala_walking_on_desk_2.mov Gala_walking_on_desk_3.mov

Using alpha instead of greenscreen is going to be way better quality. Greenscreen matting is always going to have at least a little bit of quality loss around the edges, plus it is a lot of extra work. Since you want to composite a rendering from AM anyway there is no need for greenscreen. In fact you could import footage of your "desk" or anything else directly into AM and just composite on that rather than using another application. Then you could add the shadows in the render and save a few steps. No need to render with an alpha channel at all. The whole thing renders out of AM.

-vern

I have, in fact, heard that major studios render everything with an alpha channel, and composite them together later. This gives more control, and requires less render time to make small changes. Personally, with A:M however, I never do this. I've found I get better, cleaner results by rendering everything together. However, the other guys are right about green-screen. It won't look nearly as good as rendering with an alpha. That's what you'll want to do.

I did

using the process described above. I rendered with an alpha channel. Then I rendered with a shadow buffer.

I composited in After Effects.

It was all done simply to try out my skills in After Effects. I was pretty pleased with the results even though the shadow is techinically not correct for the lighting in my kitchen.

Wade

No the shadow was rendered in A:M. For some reason I can't add attachments so I will explain.

When you go to render to file, select advanced options. go to the Output tab click the expansion arrow next to buffers. You will see several buffers in there. Select the alpha and shadow buffers on.

As mentioned above, the final image or image series will appear to be a black screen. However, the alpha data is there. Once you import to another app the alpha channel will be clear.

Having said all of that, this could have been done inside of A:M, like I said, I was testing my skills in After Effects.

Wade