Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Shadow on the wall.

Hello well I'm back after another PC crashed I need to upgrade anyway and all so I was messing around with the ghost hunting stuff I've gotten some weird evp's (electronic voice phanamena).

Any way I working on a project was wornding can this be done I wanna scare the crap out of some of my family members. The I deal is to have a figure like shadow climbing up the wall going to the cealing

and going down into that person who's sitting in the chair and play it back for them I'll tell them I got on the pc and show um. I probley have to use syntheyes camera tracking for the project also are is there any other better software out there that works good with animation master. Guess yall can tell where I

got this Ideal from...LOL

Any ideal on the shadow will be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any ideal on the shadow will be greatly appreciated.

You might be able to use a spot light with a negative value in the brightness to project a dark area. This use to work. If it still works then you could craft a 'figure like' model (just a flat figure) and rig it and make it white. Then animate it moving the way you want it to move then render against a black background (basically a negative image of what you want). Then you apply this animation as a rotoscope to the 'negative' spotlight -- the white will let thought the 'light' (which is darkness right) and the black should block the darkness. Then you just project and move your animated figure in your set as needed and timed to go with the animation of the figure you did (so the figure waves its arms or whatever as you move it across the wall by moving the spotlight).

As for mixing AM and real life sets... this is too large an area for me to get into here. Anzovin Studio has a great 2 CD video tutorial on doing this. Don't remember what it costs but I do know its well worth the money.

Hope this helps!

Rusty

Hi I was messing around with what yall said I took a flat model kind of figure shape made about 85% transparence and I add smoke particle to it, the smoke will follow the model up the wall like a mist kind

of. But I think I got the transparence way down here a short clip.

Shadow_on_the_wall.mov

I'll check thoese links out thank you.

Yall think particle would be better I 'm just thinking out loud.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking out loud.

If you built a very simple replica of the room and any items that you want to have the shadow interact with. Render with shadow and alpha buffers on. This should render the shadow with an alpha channel. It will look like a black screen. But trust me it will be a shadow with an alpha channel. Combine in After effects. This is covered in the tutorials noted above. I only recommend AE cause it is what I know. Any similar program will work.

was rendered out with the war of the worlds model on an alpha channel and the shadow rendered out seperately. Granted, I only needed the shadow on the ground plane but the process still worked. I combined the background image, the model, and the shadow After Effects.

Also, there is a version of Icarus that works with A:M. It is free but you will have to do some internet digging to find it. This is used for motion tracking. Having used it, you will want to mount your camera on a tripod and use smooth pans if possible. This will give the cleanest track. A lot of jerky motion will make it very difficult to get a clean track.