Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hot Diet woman

Hyello-

Martin recently was mentioning the strengths of copy/pasting body parts to make your own characters. Not only is this a great way to learn but it is a speedy way to get custom characters on demand. The other day I did a test for a potential diet supplement advert where a woman who has 'recieved the benefits' of the diet supplement would be the central character in the spot. My potential clients needed a 'mock-up' for a meeting so they could sell their concept, and 'theoretically' if I made the art I would get the gig... (doesn't always work that way...)

They initially wanted a 2D traditional animated character, but liked the idea of a 2D/3D look. I used to do 2D character animation but as the years passed and demand for it was SO sporatically low, I turned to 3D graphics as a primary career(with BIG help from A:M). Now, when someone wants 2D traditional cel animation, I wince at the amount of work it will take to do it. I'm no young fool anymore, drawing my days away for some hideously low budget ad in the hopes that I might get noticed by Disney. SO--- I wanted to sell them on a 3D woman with a 2D look...enter Hash and the toon shader.

I started by sketching, and my client Googled for women in the age and dress that he had in mind. I thought it would be a 40's plump housewife but was pleasantly surprised by the images I got from him... a hot 30's smart looking woman in a short skirt and heels, I told him- 'I've been practicing my whole life for this!'

I then spent 1 day 'Frankenstiening' other body parts to a head I custom modeled with helmet-hair. The eyes are a neat 'stylized' look I borrowed from my Disney's 'The Art of Animation' and some sketches there from the great Freddie Moore. Quick TSM2 rig. Pose and render. I beef-up the toon lines in Photoshop with a thick outside line.

Now, I'm hoping it will sell!

CUURchar_design1.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images