Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Image Contest Entry

Thank you to all who voted for my image. I'm happy for the win with such stiff competition.

This one was a lot of fun to make and was actually based on an old abandoned market I had seen in the Arizona desert. Below you can see the pic of the original mart and a wireframe of my model. Crits, comments, and questions are always welcome.

Compare_Marts.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, yes, it actually started as personal challenge on what I could do with textures. The modeling was not that big of a challenge as you can tell, but every texture in that piece was either all done by hand or heavily manipulated by me. There are many layers on some of the surfaces. It just goes to show how hard it is to do photorealistic - at least for me. I'm happy with the way it turned out and above all, I learned a ton in the process.

Now if I could just do this for a living ;) - and get paid for it :lol:

Thanks for looking in :)

Eric

This is really a great entry Eric.

The texturing is really well done. It is nice to see the wire frame as well to see where the model stops and the background starts. It blends together seamlessly.

My son and I had stared at this image for quite a while trying to figure out what was the modelled and what wasn't. We both knew that Thom was a model, but couldn't figure out if the building was or not. What was throwing us for a loop (and this is the only thing that bothered me about this image), is that the direction of the shadow for Thom doesn't match the direction of the shadow for the building and sign. It is as if the light source for Thom is almost directly overhead where the light source for the bulding and sign is at more of an angle to the top right corner of the image. Other than that, it looks perfect.

Again, great job and congrats on your win. It is well deserved.

Any chance of doing a tutorial or showing some steps on how you textured the building? You talk about many layers on some of the surfaces. I would be really interested in seing how this was done.

Al

Al:

thanks for looking in. The shadow thing is actually a trick on the eye caused by the overhang in front of the building. There is only one light source casting shadows high and to the right. Because you are looking at the overhang from a tight angle, it doesn't look very deep, but it's actually about 4 or 5 feet deep, causing the large shadow on the ground. Thom's shadow is what you'd expect, but it does make for an interesting comparison. I used AO, one keylight with shadows, and one fill light under the ground in front of the building. The background image was a camera rotoscope and the whole shot was rendered with 25 passes.

Though I don't consider myself anything but a novice when it comes to texturing, I have learned quite a bit by trial and error on this project. Hmm, what if I take one of the components of the shot and do a small walkthrough on texturing with accompanying texture maps? I'll try and put something together.

Eric

• Admin

Eric,

Excellent in more ways than I can describe here but here's the attempt...

The layout

The detail

The textures

The lighting

The story

The gag/punch line

You've really got it going on in this image.

This is a very well deserved 1st place entry.

Would I be interested in more 'Behind the Scenes'? Heck Yeah!

All right, I'll come clean, I really only modeled the building, but Thom is real. He told me he would pose for the shot, but only if I fessed up later. Yup, Thom is the real deal alright ^_^

Mark, the building is on Hyw 89 out of Cottonwood just on the outskirts of the old mining town Jerome.