Alien WIP

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I like. No crits thus far.

So far... so good! :)

Edit: Okay... one crit. The side view looks to thin to me considering the mass we see from the front. Its just a 'gut feeling' thing... so feel free to ignore but I think adding a little more mass front to rear would convey more sense of weight to his head. Perhaps if you moved all of the splines of his face forward a bit?

Hi Joe ... Nice character .. very singular

I was looking the wireframe and I believe that you can improve its splinage, if you update the patch marked...

et1.jpg

alien2.jpg

Looks pretty good!

My main concern is the brain mass eyebrow, as in the picture the mass come froward over the eyes. It's apparent of how the creature shows emotion. Looks like the mass loops back into the base of the head instead of just sticking up like a cauliflower. There is sort of a heart shape contour that sweep back on the outside crown.

Hi Joe ... Nice character .. very singular

I was looking the wireframe and I believe that you can improve its splinage, if you update the patch marked...

Done, I was a little worried about the dead end spline but it maintains a good curve.

Looks pretty good!

My main concern is the brain mass eyebrow, as in the picture the mass come froward over the eyes. It's apparent of how the creature shows emotion. Looks like the mass loops back into the base of the head instead of just sticking up like a cauliflower. There is sort of a heart shape contour that sweep back on the outside crown.

I modeled a neutral expression, but drew it with the angry look because I like the swooping s-curve of the heavy brow. However, I did a quick test and I think that it will curve well for facial expressions. Here's a render. Sorry about the weird render. Right now there's just a simple material until I get it painted in 3Dpainter, and I ran it thru some filters in photoshop to get closer to the look of an old pulp magazine. Still tweaking everything.

post-7177-1213842049_thumb.jpg

Oh, I do have a question about decals. I wanted to have a bump map for the veins on the forehead, and was wondering what the quickest and/or easiest way to make sure that it lines up with the color map. I don't have much experience with multiple decals on one area.

Oh, I do have a question about decals. I wanted to have a bump map for the veins on the forehead, and was wondering what the quickest and/or easiest way to make sure that it lines up with the color map. I don't have much experience with multiple decals on one area.

The easiest way is to have multiple images per decal (using 1 stamp).

First: apply your decal as type color, expand the decal container, right click on Images (under decal), select "Add Image", select which image to use, and change it's type to bump. The easiest prep for the image file to use for the bump is to take your original color image and edit it in photoshop (or equivalent program) to make it an image that can be used for a bump map, thus preserving the aspect ratio. Both images used then would have the same mapping method, but are different types. You can also add spec size, intensity, etc.

You can also apply multiple decals to the same area (but not as easy to line up) - using different types (color, bump, spec, etc). This would allow you to have different aspect ratios for the images, and different mapping methods (planar, cylindrical, spherical) for the different decals.

EDIT: above explanation might be a bit muddy. Need additional info?

multipleimagesperdecal.jpg