Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

TAOAM by StormedFX

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
Exercise2.

HMMMM!!! For some reasos, I cannot upload the avi file.

render it as a quicktime and set the compression as Sorenson 3 so it doesn't end up huge. Don't choose "Animation" as your codec.

Great to see you getting stuck in already.

That render option Robcat mentioned is if you tick Advanced when you render, then under Format > Save options. Some people don't have Sorenson 3, so you could try MPEG-4 or H.264 for Quicktime Compression. It's amazing how small you can get the sizes.

• Hash Fellow
Exercise4.

that looks like you hit the major landmarks there. The instructions don't mention it, but for a movement like that I'd render it in more of a side or 3/4 view so the forward motion is clearer.

But looks like a good job, none-the-less!

Exercise4.

that looks like you hit the major landmarks there. The instructions don't mention it, but for a movement like that I'd render it in more of a side or 3/4 view so the forward motion is clearer.

But looks like a good job, none-the-less!

Thank you, Rob! I didnt think about the camera angle at that time. May be next time.

CHEERS!

Exercise5.

Walkcycle.mov

Nice ear movement!

Next question to be answered - the black sky can go blue by rendering with Alpha=OFF. In the advanced render settings, open up Buffers, and click Alpha to OFF.

However, remember this option for later, because when you want to put Rabbit into live video, you can delete the ground, render with Alpha=ON, and all the rest will be transparent, so you can then put the Rabbit footage on top of any video (or still) footage you have.

Nice ear movement!

Next question to be answered - the black sky can go blue by rendering with Alpha=OFF. In the advanced render settings, open up Buffers, and click Alpha to OFF.

However, remember this option for later, because when you want to put Rabbit into live video, you can delete the ground, render with Alpha=ON, and all the rest will be transparent, so you can then put the Rabbit footage on top of any video (or still) footage you have.

Thank you FYI, Caroline! Now, I am starting on exercise6 and hopefully to get it done tomorrow.

CHEERS!

• 2 weeks later...
I turned the alpha off but still show the black sky in my render

That's odd. Does your screen look like this one?

post-9673-1212838630_thumb.jpg

Check both the Camera1 Background colour (should be blue) and the Buffer Alpha = Off.

That seems to work now. Thank you, Caroline!

If I didn't know any better I'd say you solved your decal/5 point patch problem. :)

It just a quick way to get the decal work properly, but still need to find out why the decal gets distorted in the area of 5-point patch. In the image, and you can see there are two consecutive 5-point patches at the legs area. I disconnected then are make them 3-quad as shown, and I still make the shape look better by adjusting those sline curve and move the CP around.

CHEERS!

post-12016-1213192313_thumb.jpg

Looking good! :)

You made Exercise 11.5 look easy all while providing some great examples for others to follow.

Keep up the pace!

Thank you, Rodney. Not quite easy, because this is my first time working with spline. I will try my best, and I am almost there. On exercise11.5, I would like to add the eyelash, but I am not quite sure how to add the those picture because there are two images for it(if I remeber correct.

Do I use decal to add those textures to the eyelash or there is another way?

Thank you!

Exercise13.

He walks! I remember I enjoyed this exercise - the feeling of power of being able to inject life. :D

Actually, I have run into an issue with this exercise, but I decided to finish it anyway. When I turn on the IK his right arm folded right away. I am not sure what the problem is, but when I checked the bones that control the elbows I found the Left and Right controllers are reversed. What I did was just move them to where belong but still does not fix the issue. If you have noticed from the movie itself the left elbow does not move naturally, and I wish someone can help me find out what is the root cause. I have tried to redo this exercise 5 tims but still the same issue.

Thank you.

Your cooper face looks amazing. It took me many tries to get something resembling a human face.

Thank you, MasterFunk. Just try me best.

"Actually, I have run into an issue with this exercise, but I decided to finish it anyway. When I turn on the IK his right arm folded right away. I am not sure what the problem is, but when I checked the bones that control the elbows I found the Left and Right controllers are reversed. What I did was just move them to where belong but still does not fix the issue. If you have noticed from the movie itself the left elbow does not move naturally, and I wish someone can help me find out what is the root cause. I have tried to redo this exercise 5 tims but still the same issue."

It is a common problem with the version 13, 2001 skeleton. You have to turn the euler limits in the right forearm to 100% instead of 0%. After that it should work perfectly.

"Actually, I have run into an issue with this exercise, but I decided to finish it anyway. When I turn on the IK his right arm folded right away. I am not sure what the problem is, but when I checked the bones that control the elbows I found the Left and Right controllers are reversed. What I did was just move them to where belong but still does not fix the issue. If you have noticed from the movie itself the left elbow does not move naturally, and I wish someone can help me find out what is the root cause. I have tried to redo this exercise 5 tims but still the same issue."

It is a common problem with the version 13, 2001 skeleton. You have to turn the euler limits in the right forearm to 100% instead of 0%. After that it should work perfectly.

Thank you FYI, MasterFunk. I will try it again. About exercise15, I just renderred it directly from the action window. I tried to save it as a new action in the action folder so I can reuse it, but it does not show up in there. I then check in the actual path where AM is installed, and I can see my new action in that folder but not when I run the app.

Exercise15.

exercise15.mov

You mean it does not show up in the library?

I find the easiest way to add something to the library is to drag from the folder showing in Windows Explorer and drop it into the correct folder in the Library in A:M.

In the library, that is correct.

I have tried it both way and still does not show up in the Action folder when the AM is running.

Did u right click on the action and select "create shortcut in library"?

It works now as I did what MasterFunk suggested. Thank you both for helping. Now, how about exercise16? I have finished everthing, except trying to use it to creat a movie.

Which one will I have to save in order to use it in the movie, and my best guess would be the Action just like exercise15?

CHEERS!

Now, how about exercise16? I have finished everthing, except trying to use it to creat a movie

I don't understand the question - when you say "create a movie", do you mean "render it out to a .mov?".

You shouldn't need any 'actions' for Ex 16 - I got a bit confused when you were creating actions last time, but I assumed you wanted to save it as a reusable action for another time.

You should put it all together in the choreography, then render it to a Quicktime Mov, using Sorenson 3 compression.

Now, how about exercise16? I have finished everthing, except trying to use it to creat a movie

I don't understand the question - when you say "create a movie", do you mean "render it out to a .mov?".

You shouldn't need any 'actions' for Ex 16 - I got a bit confused when you were creating actions last time, but I assumed you wanted to save it as a reusable action for another time.

You should put it all together in the choreography, then render it to a Quicktime Mov, using Sorenson 3 compression.

Nevermind! I got it.

MasterFunk and Caroline:

Back to exercise11.5(cooper),

How do I apply "Eyelash" and "EyelashSpec" if I create eyelash splines for him?

As I understood, I can use decal to apply eyelash, but I am not so sure about the "EyelashSpec."

Thank you all.

Eyelashes:

1. In the Model window, hide everything that you don't want to see

post-9673-1213847327_thumb.jpg

2. Create a New Action, make sure you are in front view (that's 2 on the keyboard), and go into Muscle Mode (F7). Select all the CPs, and click Scale Mode (or 'S') - 'a' on the pic, Click Show Manipulator Properties - 'b' on the pic, and change the Z scale to 0 - 'c' on the pic.

post-9673-1213847598_thumb.jpg

This will flatten the model. You can move the points around too to show all the patches better - remember you are in an action, so this is not permanently affecting your base model.

3. Print the screen (Shift + Prt Scr) and paste it into Photoshop or equivalent (I use Photoshop Elements / Twisted Brush / Dogwaffle). Crop it so you only have the relevant area showing. Create a new layer below this one, and change the pasted layer blending mode to Multiply (so you can still see the lines while you paint). I changed the grey to a white too. And Paint. Save the decal as a jpg. Keep the lines layer in the jpg until you are happy with the way it lines up.

This is my decal - you can see how I moved the CPs

post-9673-1213848527_thumb.jpg

4. Back in A:M - Make sure you don't touch anything. Don't zoom, or change anything. You should still have your action up on the screen.

5. Right click Images and import your decal.

6. Right click the MODEL and click New > Decal and choose your decal image.

7. This image should now show on the Action window. It should also be exactly the same size as your model, so you can line it up easily. If not, you will have to stretch it. Right click the decal, left click Apply, and right click the Decal and left click Stop Positioning.

8. A spot render gives me this:

post-9673-1213848471_thumb.jpg

(And don't comment on too many splines, it's a WIP!)