Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

rubberguy episode02

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another good one. One thing that bothers me is how it's neither male or female! It's just not natural. ;)

Seriously, one thing I really don't like is how the "porthole" in the beginning has sharp edges. I think it'd look better with a bevel/fillet. Maybe the back could be a similar color to the background instead of white. Also, when he creaks his neck, the elbows are snapping.....do you have IK arms turned on there? And when he goes to grab the anval, his fingers would natually bend back abit.....overlap.

Are you posting these somewhere like youtube? I think they'd get some hits.

Edit: His brows are kind of hard to see. Maybe they could be a different color or his skin could be abit lighter?

Edit1: His shadow is getting cut off weirdly too.

Another good one. One thing that bothers me is how it's neither male or female! It's just not natural. ;)

Seriously, one thing I really don't like is how the "porthole" in the beginning has sharp edges. I think it'd look better with a bevel/fillet. Maybe the back could be a similar color to the background instead of white. Also, when he creaks his neck, the elbows are snapping.....do you have IK arms turned on there? And when he goes to grab the anval, his fingers would natually bend back abit.....overlap.

Are you posting these somewhere like youtube? I think they'd get some hits.

Edit: His brows are kind of hard to see. Maybe they could be a different color or his skin could be abit lighter?

Edit1: His shadow is getting cut off weirdly too.

thanks ken...

you´re right about the bevel-thing, i guess sometimes i´m just a bit lazy when it comes to details, i´m going to redo that...

and yeah, the elbows are snappig, i-k arms is turned on, i´ll try to fix the snapping, kinda difficult sometimes, any advice? and thanks for the overlap-tip on the fingers, i didn´t know that, i´m a animation-newbie, just reading some books about that kind of stuff at the moment...

i´ll try something out with the brows, but i won´t render the existing episodes (and episode 3 is half way rendered too) again because of that (patience isn´t one of my strengths ;))

and the shadows are bothering me too, maybe you´ve got a tip here... about the lighting: i´m using a sunlight with 100% intensity casting shadows (100% darkness, raytraced, 1 ray) to get the white renders, grounds diffuse fall-off set to 0%, filling with a klieg and a sunlight... how would you do it?

Here's how I normally do white renders.The light is a kleig with Z-buffer shadows instead of raytracing so it should render faster. Though raytracing is needed for certain instances. The ground is flat shaded.

For the elbow snapping......maybe the rig isn't installed correctly. Or if it's not that, then usually FK is used for the arms unless something is being held eg hands on the elbows.

White_render.cho

These are a pretty cool concepts Fresh....keep going with them.

I'm not sure what pass you are on in regards to the final product but here's what i caught right away(just in case you missed it ;I know I do sometimes). On the first flex he seems a little static almost as if it is a still frame for that moment. I'm not sure if it that he's not flexed enough or that there is no recursive motion like the next flex. The second flex is great though, that one is convincing. The other thing was when he gets ready to pick up the weight and he rubs his hands. The fingers dont look like they touch. Over all though your timing and character motion are top notch. these were little nit picky things that would be touched up in your third or fourth pass.

Great work, I hope you keep up the series. Since he is rubber guy, have you thought about having him inflate his muscles by blowing in to his thumb before he strikes the bodybuilder poses?

puh, i have to say that´s a very good idea, that didn´t come to my mind.... bravo!!!! :)

maybe i´ll use it in one of the next episodes, i don´t know how to make it yet but i think i´ll give it a shot.... maybe just create a percentage muscle pose, i have to ckeck out if his splineage is dense enough to create some believable muscles.... can´t wait to try it... thanks!!!!!

I'm catching these out of order -- I just commented on your third episode but then I found this one. It's another hit for me! I think you're doing a really good job animating the character and I can imagine you must learn a lot as you go through these excercises. It seems like a perfect kind of project for really getting into character animation. I enjoy the simplicity of your designs too. Not too many colors or unnecessary details.