Hash, Inc. Forums

Modeling a Book

I am trying to model a book. I have the cover modeled (I just need to apply texture), but I don't really know how to do the pages. Should I just make a block and apply a bump map around the edges? Or is there another way to do it. I may want to animate the book opening and pages turning. But for now, I just want it for a still image.

I am trying to model a book. I have the cover modeled (I just need to apply texture), but I don't really know how to do the pages. Should I just make a block and apply a bump map around the edges? Or is there another way to do it. I may want to animate the book opening and pages turning. But for now, I just want it for a still image.

NancyGormezano has this modeled already maybe she would be willing to give you hers so you can see how it is done? I Animated this book being opened and pages being turned in a scene on TWO.

2_01_02_take.mov

_2_01_04_V8.mov

NancyGormezano has this modeled already maybe she would be willing to give you hers so you can see how it is done? I Animated this book being opened and pages being turned in a scene on TWO.

Well, I went ahead and tried the bump map for the pages. I think it turned out pretty well. The pages are just an unbeveled cube, so I would have to redo it if I wanted to animate it, but for an unopening book, I think it will work. I just need to texture it and put the title on. Does anyone know how to make a good "Old Leather" looking texture? I was thinking about modifying the Crumple texture, but I'm not sure if that will look right.

post-7638-1201622644_thumb.jpg

Ok, I used your leather texture (thanks again) and textured the book. Question. Is it normal to have to go in and select each set of splines and texture them separately? For example, I had to texture the front and back covers, then go in at texture the tops and bottoms of the front and back covers, then the edges of each (opposite to the spine), etc. Or is there a faster way to texture? I don't mind going in and doing each one, but if there's a better way to do it, I'd rather use it :)

This is just a quick render from the modeling window. I've noticed something with this. Why is it that the top of the book (further away from the camera) is bigger than the bottom? Isn't that the opposite of a 3D effect? Shouldn't the top be smaller to make it look further?

EDIT: Ha ha ha... ok, So the only picture output that A:M allows (in v10.5) is tga, however we are not allowed to upload TGA files... he he he.... odd.

post-7638-1201713240_thumb.jpg

This is just a quick render from the modeling window. I've noticed something with this. Why is it that the top of the book (further away from the camera) is bigger than the bottom? Isn't that the opposite of a 3D effect? Shouldn't the top be smaller to make it look further?

'Tis illusion...actually the top and bottom are the SAME, because you are seeing an ORTHOGRAPHIC view of the book. To see your book in PERSPECTIVE you can simply hit the '\' (backwards slash key) on your keyboard...and '/' (forward slash) to get back to orthographic. Another way would be to bring the book into a choreography, where the camera will have natural perspective default.

'Tis illusion...actually the top and bottom are the SAME, because you are seeing an ORTHOGRAPHIC view of the book. To see your book in PERSPECTIVE you can simply hit the '\' (backwards slash key) on your keyboard...and '/' (forward slash) to get back to orthographic. Another way would be to bring the book into a choreography, where the camera will have natural perspective default.

Thanks. I did figure that the perspective would be correct in the Chor window, I was just wondering if there was a technical reason why it was backwards in the modeling window :)

Ok, I have brought the binding out a bit, but I am not sure how to do the crease. The only way I can think of doing it is to remodel the entire cover. Any suggestions?

post-7638-1201719902_thumb.jpg

It is hard to suggest help on modeling without seeing how the splines are laid out. Take a screen shot when you are showing a solid view with splines. Then people can show you where to add splines to get the effect you are looking for.

Scott