Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Problem with hair - Five point patches are bald

thefreshestever

do hairemitter simply not apply on five-point-patches? how can i solve this problem?

help please!!!!!

i attatched a screenshot of the rendering an one of the a:m window, that might help to understand.

short sytem info: i´m working with a:m 12.0 on a macbook pro 2,33 ghz dual with 4 gig ram, a:m is used on parallesls desktop under windows xp (runs smoother than in osx)!

Bild_4.png

Bild_3.png

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 'normal' is the 'direction' of the patch. You may see hair growing inside the body on those 5 pointers.

First turn off particles - Shift 8.

To see the normals, click Tools Menu > Options. On the Modelling Tab, tick Display Normals. You will now see yellow lines coming out of the center of the patches. If the 5 pointers do not have a yellow line coming out, then they are turned inwards. Click the Patch Tool (Shift P), and click on the Patch. Press the F key to reverse the direction of the patch. The yellow line should now be coming out of the model.

Turn off Display Normals through the Options, and turn on particles - Shift 8, and you should see hair.

• 6 months later...
The 'normal' is the 'direction' of the patch. You may see hair growing inside the body on those 5 pointers.

First turn off particles - Shift 8.

To see the normals, click Tools Menu > Options. On the Modelling Tab, tick Display Normals. You will now see yellow lines coming out of the center of the patches. If the 5 pointers do not have a yellow line coming out, then they are turned inwards. Click the Patch Tool (Shift P), and click on the Patch. Press the F key to reverse the direction of the patch. The yellow line should now be coming out of the model.

Turn off Display Normals through the Options, and turn on particles - Shift 8, and you should see hair.

Thanks Caroline!!! that was a big HELP!!

:)

Another great way to find out if all your normals are facing the right way is:

Tools Menu > Options > Rendering Tab. Change Quality to Shaded & Wireframe. Change Show Back Facing Polys to OFF. This makes normals that are facing away from you look transparent, so they are easy to pick up.

One warning though, if you leave that setting on and forget about it, you will get the transparent areas and wonder why ;)

Useful Shortcut keys:

Shift 1 turns on and off normals (same as going into options)

and Shift 6 turns on and off back facing polys as above (I just found this out myself, so thank you).

(Those numbers are the ones above the letters, not the num pad)