Something's fishy.....

Ravager

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need to provide us with more information about the movie you are rendering. Things like what kind of lighting, amount of lights, large textures, procedural materials, amount of patches and close ups. All of the above mentioned things (and other things) do have their way to affect the rendertime. An Screen capture would really help

Reflections, bumps, massive patch count, movement, huge gigantic massive resolution.... did you use any materials on that?

200 hours sounds about right. It is only about... 8 days running non stop, 2 minutes at 30 fps would be about 430 frames each day.. about 18 frames per hour. it might go faster as time goes on. You could render a few frames at a time when you aren't using the computer. ;)

Seriously though if you dropped the resolution to only what you absolutely need... maybe a little less... you could cut that render time waaaaaay down.... it really DOES depend on the target audience, web, standard DVD, film, HD-DVD etc etc.

-vern

1600px x 1200px is realy large... near HD but not really HD... (Full HD(1080i/p) would be 1920px × 1080px).

Depending on your codecs and the compression-settings this resolution will force most older computers to its limits or will even not run smooth.

I would use 720p-standard for HD-TVs (1280px × 720px) or for a non-hd-tv PAL/SECAM/NTSC-Standard (depending on your country... PAL/SECAM: 768 × 576, NTSC: 720px x 480px)

For computer-screens you are very variable... but 640x480 or 800x600 is most often enough. Youtube is using even a smaller resolution (480 x ???).

*Fuchur*

PS: To be correct: PAL/SECAM/NTSC are color-norms and they dont define resolutions. The resolutions are defined by black/white-norms. But most people doesnt make a difference there because PAL/NTSC are most often used with a certain black and white-norm.

oh, and one more thing.... when i try to render at least 3 or more of my models together it corrupts the rendering, like it goes half way through the render, then it aborts it. could any1 tell me what the problem is here too?

No way to know with out looking at the actual files. It could literally be any number of things. It could be not enough ram to load all of the models or it could be a problem with one or more of the models, it could be too many lights etc etc. Some things take up more ram in a model than others, like big gigantic textures, raytraced lights. Materials use a lot more processor power when rendering, which slows things down as well. So if you have a bunch of models in one choreography with big images and materials, a ton of lights and raytraced shadows... etc etc... and the machine can't handle it then it causes trouble.

Do each of them render okay by themselves?

Render speed is mostly based on the computer's processor. Having more ram means you can have "more stuff" in the project but as far as I know it won't speed up render times. I have a PC and a Mac. The PC has a much faster processor than the Mac but they both have the same ram. The PC will render projects much faster than the Mac but they both can open huge files without much trouble.

I had a project once with several models that all used HAIR (lots of hair). Each model rendered fine by themselves but all together in one cho with lighting etc... the machine choked.

-vern

Try rendering to an image sequence if you aren't already. Rendering to a "movie" type file means that whole thing has to live in memory until it is done. At least that is how it use to be. This way once each frame is done it just "starts over".... sort of. Frees up more resources.

If I have this wrong someone tell me.

-vern