thebestkiller

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Eric2575

any Creature model smile.gif

Aliens .. rolleyes.gif

cuz im working on my first movie .. (2 knights chasing an alien )

and i need an alien that got good textures...

@Paul Forwood

I'm not into the extras dvd models..

i need a cool one!

Funny. I'm working on that exact thing right now! But you'll have to wait a while. :D

no ,

not like that..

ill tell you the story..

2 knights from the 13th century were walking in the middle of nowhere

and suddenly they found a ufo(crashed into a tree) .. and they wanted to see whats that!

they saw something running behind it .. so they chased it .. and the adventure begins :D

i already got the knights but i cant find a good textured alien ;)

but those models from the CD is not the exact ones im looking for !

anyone can help ?

no ,

not like that..

ill tell you the story..

2 knights from the 13th century were walking in the middle of nowhere

and suddenly they found a ufo(crashed into a tree) .. and they wanted to see whats that!

they saw something running behind it .. so they chased it .. and the adventure begins :D

i already got the knights but i cant find a good textured alien ;)

but those models from the CD is not the exact ones im looking for !

anyone can help ?

So, you're looking for a specific alien model? If you're expecting something to match your exact specifications, you're probably going to have to make it yourself...unless it's one you've seen somewhere before and you're asking if anyone knows where to find it. Can you be a little clearer about which it is?

Why don't you at least post a drawing of your alien? We are not all mind readers.

Maybe someone has something that could easily be modified to suit your needs.

Are you new to animating too? Maybe you should start with a simple sphere shaped alien as the two knights will probably keep you busy for some time.

Nah..someone gave me a knight model..

and yes im new to animating too :)

but i animated (Idle) , (Walk cycle) for the knights :D

Did the knight that someone gave you look like this?

----------------------------

EDIT

----------------------------

I guess I'll have to call this contest (I've run out of play time for today)...Vern was definitely the winner. You've got great instincts, Vern. I wonder if the models fell off this CD too?

Thanks David!

I thought about writing something "funny" but there didn't seem to be any point. I don't think our "victim" even understands the trouble with his request.

-------

To Thebestkiller (I really hope this is a mispelling. Should it be "Thebeastkiller"?), if you are still reading this thread keep in mind that an alien is probably one of the very first things new users try to create... or at least in the top 11 ;).

Aliens don't have to be "perfect", they don't have to look like a person, the options are nearly limitless and lend themselves to learning A:M. You could take many of the included models with AM and twist and distort it to create an alien creature. You could use the distortion grid or the magnet tool to stretch and modify a "human" model to look like all kinds of weird alien creatures. If anything is easy in AM, modifying an existing model definately is easy and is a fantastic way to learn.

If you did it correctly you could even keep the existing skeleton, possibly having to scale some bones a bit if the body changes too much. All of the bone rigging and point binding is done.

Even starting with the "Thom" character could lead to some funky looking aliens.

You could then go crazy with AM materials or Photoshop or an image editor creating new textures for your alien.

If however you absolutely can't do this... it will be difficult to get EXACTLY what you want. You obviously want something for free... it is hard to get that kind of model created for free. A whole rigged model with detailed "cool" textures takes a lot of time and effort. If a user has created something on their own and they share it with the community you should take advantage of this before looking for more.

In most cases like this the new user with high expectations rarely gets to the end of their epic movie production. That would be one reason why I wouldn't bother with it. You may even be too early looking for the perfect alien when what you really need to do is write a script, do a story board, record dialog... build props... etc etc.

Keep in mind a fully rigged textured character model is not something simple to produce. When someone has gone to all that trouble they may not be inclined to release it to the public on a whim.

That is why the group of folks who spent hours, days, months putting all of the user contributed models on the AM extras CD is so valuable. A few years ago there was nothing like this.

I am going out on a limb here and theorize that you don't even HAVE the extras CD that comes with a full legal copy of AM. With all of that content there must be something you can use... especially if the Knight character is good enough for you. I apologize if I am incorrect in this assumption.

-vern

That's where I got the Musana Warrior. Those are all older models, and some of them might act funny in later versions of A:M, but you should be able to tweak or work around any irregularities once you learn how to use the program. If your Knight is the same Knight showing at Eggington's, then most of the models there should work. I'm guessing it's more likely you don't know enough about A:M yet to make them work, which is a problem I still have in regards to the various rigging systems. I was using the Musana Warrior years ago, when I didn't understand all of his rigging setups but would work around them to use what I could. Also, due to the many different ways of rigging a model, it's possible some .act files won't work with all models. The solution is just build a new action file, which is a little more difficult than just assigning an existing action to an existing model, but it's still something you can easily learn to do.

Eggngton's is the best site I have found in terms of having a large supply of free A:M models. If you're looking for something that's not only free, but written under the latest version of A:M, you're not going to find much unless you do as someone has already suggested-- find a model on the Program or Extras CDs that you can adapt to your concept.

You're asking for models that are free, so you have to prepared that it's highly likely nothing is going to exactly fit the apparently narrow definition of what you consider to be an acceptable alien. If you can't find a free model that fits your vision, then either modify your vision, or build your own alien, or come up with a new idea that lets you use the models already available. I would wager that everyone who has responded in this thread so far has been in your situation at least once, and found a way to adapt.

10.5?

Dang! And I thought I was way behind the times using v12!

;)

That's... holy cow that's before 11! I was trying to remember when I used 10.5 last... I think I killed those brain cells at my high school reunion last week (an old teacher was there collecting assignments I never turned in... no wait... that was a bad dream I keep having.)

Time for an upgrade. Seriously though... upgrade if you can.

-vern

Models made in A:M 13 and 14 cannot be opened in previous versions because the file format changed slightly.

You will appreciate all the extra goodies that come with upgrading. Much improved stability and tool functionality as well as all the resources that come on the Extras DVD.