Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Tripod

A martian tripod from "The War Of The Worlds". I was intending just to put together something like a proxy version, as I wanted to get the gait sorted out first, but I got a bit carried away.

tripod.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's a different tripod, but on the steven speilberg WOTW, there is a special feature showing the gys at ILM animating the tripods, so that might help. If you type it in, you might find it on youtube or something

This is superb modeling.I'll be honest as much as i liked Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds i really wanted to see the version novelised by H G Wells.

This would be incredible to see animated,so much so i have attached a link to Jeff Wayne's test footage of the Walker from his cgi movie version.

http://www.robkinder.com/hosted/wotwo/movies/clip.htm

Keep up the good work.

Jay

This is superb modeling.I'll be honest as much as i liked Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds i really wanted to see the version novelised by H G Wells.

This would be incredible to see animated,so much so i have attached a link to Jeff Wayne's test footage of the Walker from his cgi movie version.

http://www.robkinder.com/hosted/wotwo/movies/clip.htm

Keep up the good work.

Jay

I love that album! I didn't know they were doing this. Don't know what I think about them making a cgi film out of it, though. It's always better in your head. Still, could be neat.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

I'll check out the gait on Spielberg's version - I'm sure I have it somewhere.

Jay, the link you posted shows a slightly different flex to the one used in the stage play. In your link, the "supporting strut" telescopes, whereas in the final CGI, it's the lower section of the legs that telescope into the upper.

Mark, the CGI has been done for a stage production of Jeff Wayne's musical. It's not being put on celluloid as far as I can tell. I do have the DVD of the production, but it was filmed in London and wasn't quite as tight as the one I actually saw, in Manchester.

I need to find the album artwork from somewhere. As I recall, the feet were not quite as simple as the ones I've done, but they weren't as ornate as the ones in Jay's link. The rotoscopes I used for modelling were from Mike Trim's website.

The martian has his materials applied and is rigged now - I just need to learn how to do a walk cycle for a regular model now, before continuing.

Thanks, Jay. I saw those feet from the new CGI for the live musical - I recall that the feet on the original vinyl album artwork were much simpler, but I could easily be mistaken. I've not been able to find any scans of that.

At this stage, I may just stick some hinges on the toes as they are. Those feet are nicely modelled, but I think they are too stylised - more in keeping with Spielberg's version than the Mike Trim version from the musical.

• 2 weeks later...

I need not have done so much searching for feet: A good chunk of the original album artwork is included in the souvenir programme for the stage show (which was sitting on a bookshelf - "Internet? Pah! - we don' need no steekin internet..." etc). There's also a good close-up of the CGI one Jay linked to.

The main image of the Thunder Child being sunk does not show the feet as they are under water, but the picture of Parson Nathaniel banishing the tripods (sixth image on this page) shows the feet to be mere stumps. Possibly OK for my "modern day" film as long as the martians stick to the roads, but not much good for the muddy countryside in the last years of the nineteenth century.

He needs feet, that's for sure - but I'll probably end up making my own rather than copying the ones from the programme.

I found a WotW site a few weeks ago that covers various media presentations of it, and it has a variety of illustrations from those productions as well. Some of it might be useful for you to incorporate ideas.

The image below is reportedly from a planned CGI version of Jeff Wayne's production.

post-432-1185822829_thumb.jpg

Here's a link to the story and the WotW website in general:

http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/war_of_t...wayne_movie.htm