Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Adding Video (.avi)

flashawd

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Robert - thanks for the reply. How does that work - does it break the video down into individual images? Also what program can convert an .avi file in a targa series? So pretty much convert the .avi to a targe series - model the tv and apply a decal (targa images) of the .avi to the screen of the tv. On last thing - do you or anyone else know of a video that someone created that has done what I am talking about, so I can get a visual of it?

Thanks again - Eric

• Hash Fellow
Hi Robert - thanks for the reply. How does that work - does it break the video down into individual images? Also what program can convert an .avi file in a targa series?

A:M can load an AVI if it's in the right codec. Import into IMAGES then "Save as Animation" but choose "targa" instead of another format. You'll get a series of numbered targa files that you can reload into A:M (make sure you check "load as sequence")

Just using the AVI as is may work too, but people seem to have more luck with targa series.

To get an animation on a tv screen or similar:-

Convert your file to tga's(AM is easy as anything)

This will give you a series of numbered stills.

When you import the images, click on "Animation or image Sequence".

This will import the whole sequence.

Then just apply the image as a decal. When this is rendered in a timeline, it should give you the animation

Hope this helps

Chris

• Admin
Then just apply the image as a decal. When this is rendered in a timeline, it should give you the animation

Don't forget you can add the sequence as a patch image too.

The situation will dictate whether a decal will work better of course.

Places you can use an image or sequence of images include:

- Decals (Mostly used for texturing)

- Patch Images (Images may be rotated incorrectly in some cases. Right Click/Rotate Images to correct)

- Rotoscopes (Applying to a camera will restrict movement in the camera plane but can be scaled and offset)

- Layers (Animatable in all 3 dimensions)

As of v14 you can set the frame in a sequence for the image under Timing in the image properties.

In this way you can select what order your images appear, animate them via the Timeline and more.

Where applying a patch image to a TV screen can work well is in adding a 4 point patch (line extruded) just inside the front screen of the TV. Create a Group for the screen of the TV and adjust the transparency. Raise the Groups specularity and it can appear as glass hovering just above the image. Additional images can be added to give the effects of lines, static or other effects onscreen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - finally getting around to trying to do this - here is what I am doing: I am trying to have a 8 second sequence of targa images play on a tv screen. I am trying to apply them as a decal.

Here is what I am doing on the Project Workspace

Continuation of last post - not sure what happened there...

Project Workspace-

- Shortcut to TV

- Groups

- Screen

- add image (Right Click)

- Other

- 0001TargaImage

Marked box "input as an animation"

After that a box opened up that said "Unhandled Exception #1001 - program will close"

Am I doing this the wrong way?

Thanks - Eric