Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Live-Action in combination with rendered character (key fob)

Fuchur

Hello guys...

I have a basic question, so I thought it would be best to post it here.

I want to combine live-action with a CG-character.

The CG-Character is a simple one like Thom from the cd... (a bit more complex so, but doesnt matter...)

The character is connected to a bunch of keys (key fob). A real person will throw the bunch of keys into the air and fetch it again, etc.

There will be some detail-shots of the keys and the key fob.

Now my question, What would you do:

- Would you try to use a real key fob and key it away? After that, use the video as a rotoscope and add the 3d-character above?

(I have a key fob which I painted violett/pink [a color that wont appear my image...])

- Would you model the whole key-bunch with the key fob in 3d and add the whole thing to the liveaction?

- Would you just use the key-bunch without a key fob and add the keyfob afterwards to it?

Thanks for any suggestions...

*Fuchur*

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I think it will be easier to shoot the keys with a key fob attached and used that as a guide for placing the 3D character.If the character is a bit bigger than the fob it will be easier. You may have to paint out spots where the fob is still visible.

Anything flying thru the air is going to be very blurry. Matching that will be tricky.

I'm assuming that you would only see any animation in the close-up of the keys in the air and that shot would have to be in slow-motion.

I'm not thinking your average off-the-shelf video camera is going to do a very good job of capturing that with the level of detail you want.

I would think you'd make a replica of the fob to use in the normal speed shots (which will be blurry) and then do the entire keychain in CG for the slow-motion close-up.

But this is coming from a guy who had, before this post, never heard the term "key fob" and had to look up what it meant. :-)

But this is coming from a guy who had, before this post, never heard the term "key fob" and had to look up what it meant. :-)

;) I had to look it up too ;)

It is just a small part of the animation itself. It starts with a closeup on the key bunch lying on a table or something like that.

There will be some characteranimation... after that someone will grab the key bunch and there will be the blurry stuff and than the key fob will be free from the key bunch on the ground...

On the Close-Ups I will use CG but I am not quite sure what to do on the blurry parts...

*Fuchur*