Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Back at it

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *A:M User*

Not sure as of yet. I have three different characters I am working on. One is a comical super hero, the other is more of sci fi and the third is a comic book hero. I have the head built on the comical and comic book style. The sci fi will be more realistic face. I placed the head of the comical and fun loving character earlier tonight and found I have a great deal to add.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Actually the camera is at a perspective so, (I used this to send the creases) I will upload the correct one. Also I was following Marvels Comic book guideline to porportions. So I will agree about the legs but they are usually about 1.25 their normal size in comic books and I actually increased the head .25 from the rotoscopes I had drawn. I will upload the correct one later

Steve

Ok here is a straight on shot of the character. The legs have been pulled back by 15% and the head I reworked the nose as it was too small. but I am on to the ears now. The hands are to be larger as the demo the hands will be a key part.

Steve

sixth0.jpg

Steve,

Can't wait to see this finished. The arms look to short to me and, strictly speaking, they are if you go by the arm-span=height rule. However, the difference is not that much and, since you purposely made the legs longer, this difference is accounted for. And I don't think that this is due to enlarging the hands. Therefore, I'm not sure why the arms look short, perhaps its just me.

It just so happens that I'm having a lot of trouble right now with the arm proportions. The 'head height' proportion guides for arms/hands here (half way down the page in the written descriptions) don't seem to match reality at all. Do you know of any other on-line arm (i.e. body) proportion guides (or any other sources anywhere)?

Cheers,

Rusty

Thanks for reminding me, Rusty... Now I need to go take a picture of myself with my arms spread to see my ratio. ;)

Well, I could be wrong. I'll probably have to do the same... it occurred to me but I said, 'naw... that's too easy'.

Rusty

I still have my art book that I dig out to see porportions and of course I have my ever faithful drawing man.

Steve

Where did you get your 'drawing man'? Can you put 'drawing man' in the standard modeling 'cross position' and send me a picture!

So, are your arms a little too short or, are my eyes out of whack?

Cheers,

Rusty

Rusty

I will send you a picture when I get home. Yes the arms are shorter, but for you I have lengthen the arms. The reason they appeared shorter was the forearm was rounded closer to the elbow. So after pulling the thickness out the arms look more into porportions.

I got him at the local art supply store. Micheals or Hobby Lobby or national chain should have one.

Steve

Rusty

I will send you a picture when I get home. Yes the arms are shorter, but for you I have lengthen the arms. The reason they appeared shorter was the forearm was rounded closer to the elbow. So after pulling the thickness out the arms look more into porportions.

I got him at the local art supply store. Micheals or Hobby Lobby or national chain should have one.

Steve

I hope you made changes for yourself and not for 'me'! As I mentioned, I'm having 'problems' with arm proportions right now! Actually I first realized I had 'arm' problems several years ago during the Horrorthon project (I've progressed to the point where I'm embarrassed to show this piece of work anymore LOL); 'Agent Stephanie Hunt' (the heroine) arm's were way off, the forearms were too long. I got around this (I hope) by using selective camera angles. I have been off doing other things since then and only recently came back to modeling/rigging 'arms'.

Sometimes I forget resources I have -- you mentioned art books and I remembered; 'Dynamic Anatomy' Hogarth, 'Human Modeling' Ratner, 'Virtual Pose', plus others as well two CDs were on the shelf 3 feet from me! I frequent Michaels often and I'll look for drawing boy (or whatever LOL). No need to send an image -- I think I've found my problems -- but I appreciate it anyway.

Thanks!

Rusty

BTW, Horrorthon features the voices of john3d, Eugene Liscio (whose forum name escapes me right now), my wife, my daughter, my son and several other friends... and of course me... can you say home grown!?!

Well, it depends on the kind of look you're going for. Humans are usually 7.5 to 8 heads tall, but if you want a stylized look, you make them 9 heads tall like the tarzan model. The modle's arms are always as long from the top of the head to the bottom of the feet.

post-7957-1181450575_thumb.jpg

I don't know about the drawing man though. His proportions look a little off. Maybe he's leaning forward?

Humans are usually 7.5 to 8 heads tall, but if you want a stylized look, you make them 9 heads tall like the tarzan model.

Exactly right. And at least some anatomy books use 7.75 heads! The other head heights you mentioned are used in different ways. I did a lot of research on this and, in case you guys didn't catch it, put together and posted a proportions guide Roto in here.

The modle's arms are always as long from the top of the head to the bottom of the feet.

This was the main topic of the formentioned thread, my proportions guide had a problem at first; if the arm span equaled the models height, when rotated down, they did not fall where they should have at mid thigh. I also did a lot of research on this and in reality the arm-span=height varies a lot depending on a number of things but all in all can be used as a good rule of thumb. The solution to this problem turned out to be the rotation of the shoulder which modified the length of the arms when straight out or down by the side, a rather strange rotation depited in the proportions roto I posted.

Got the ears on and ready to start inner mouth and then to rig. I will work with cloth as well

Looks good!

Cheers,

Rusty

Starting to put some color and looking at skin color

One thing I have noticed v 14 beta 5, is that everywhere I have a hook the rendered patches are black at the corners. Has anyone else noticed this or have I modeled something wrong? The normals are facing correctly.

Steve

side0.jpg

With this new character I wanted to have him in street clothes and then i the superhero outfit. Has any one done a pose slider to transform clothing from one state to another?

Steve