Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Wheel rotation

Zee

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

For the basics you'll want to check out the Walk and Wheel Cycle tutorial under 'Misc' on the video tutorials page (Look for it near the bottom)

http://www.hash.com/vm/

For more advanced look into Mark Skodecek's wheel rig.

It uses the ground plane to control the wheels rotation as a vehicle moves across the terrain.

Its all crazy contraint stuff that I don't yet understand as I haven't yet looked into it.

But fairly simple from the way Mark relates it.

The rig is used for the carts in the TWO movie.

BTW - I think you guys may want to post in the Newbies section.

It's not as bad being a Newbie as one would think. ;)

• 5 months later...

Gentlemen: (trying not to laugh)

When you walk into a room, you can tell at a glance what kind of people are in there and what kind of things are going on. Not so with an online forum. So, every once in a while we get newbies who sort of put their foot in it.

This forum is a bunch of adults who are quite friendly, but also quite serious about mastering the complicated art of animation. When I say "adults" I am aware that some of our members are as young as twelve years old. The kids on this forum have proved they can be as mature as any of the rest of us while they're here. I'm sure they also flame each other and screw around and fight with their siblings and plot against their teachers and do all the normal kid things, and that's fine as long as they do it elsewhere.

The best A:M animators in the world are on this forum, and they give advice to everyone, including newbies, for free. Kind of like having Einstein personally teach you the theory of relativity. People on that level have a right to expect a certain focus on the part of those who come to them for advice.

Not that we're a bunch of humor-impaired old prudes. I write original obscene limericks for my friends. I just don't do it here.

I 'LOVE' obscene limericks!

I've been known to write several meeself...

THE BASICS TO SPINNING A WHEEL: Make a wheel, a lathe operation works well for this. Go into bones mode, make a bone that will be the axis point for the wheel with the roll handle acting as the spinning mechanism. Now, make an action or bring this wheel into the chor. Enter skeletal mode (f8) and click on the roll handle. In it's properties windows you will see the rotate property. Right click on rotate and select 'change rotation to euler'...you can now advance to the end of your chor and rotate the roll handle as many times as you wish to see it spin.

THE BASICS TO RIGGING A 4 wheel VEHICLE: Do the same wheel creation as above but copy and paste and offset to make 4 wheels as in a car. Make a bone for each front tire as above and only one bone for the two rear wheels. This will allow the front wheels 'steering' capabilities. Bring the model in to the chor and animate the one wheel to turn as shown above. Once wheel 1 is animated satisfactorly, right-click on the rear axle bone and select 'new constraint'. Select 'Roll like' as the constraint type and select the bone that you animated as the target. Now, do the same for the opposite front axle bone but set the constraints 'scale' percentage to -100%. All four wheels should now spin the same.

THE BASICS TO GETTING KICKED OFF THIS FORUM: Threaten to kill someone.

Best!

Too funny.

Being the parent of a 19 year old....I have witnessed so much of this back and forth banter that I was laughing out loud.

Then I looked at the From field on both of them and started laughing again.

Wade