Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My First (decent) animation project

Hi, my name is Jared Claybrooks, and this is my first animation project of decent quality. The subject matter is one of the boss fights from the game Earthbound.

Ness, The Protagonist.

Ness0.jpg

Titanic Ant, The Antagonist.

TitanicAnt0-1.jpg

An image of the action.

NessRun_dynamicTestPic34.jpg

The whole animation won't be too substantial, maybe a minute and a half. I'd say that right now the project is about 60% complete, and could use some critiqueing before it's finished. thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah there right the gradient you used is far to dark, if your going for a night scene mabe you should have mage the gradient a mid-darkblue color.

and btw the bat goes throught the hat.

great recreation of him.....i never beat that game......

Whatever I can see it quite well, even if the pictures are a bit washed out through the darkness.

I like the camera-views... seems to be very dynamic.

*Fuchur*

never played earth bound but heard it was good

that scene right there were ness is about to club the termite thing kinda reminds my of paranoia agent on adult swim

Paranoia Agent? wow, i'm flattered. Ok, so here are two images, one with an altered toon gradient and new lighting, and one with the original lighting and an altered toon gradient.

NessRun_dynamicTest_finalNewShading.jpg

NessRun_dynamicTest_finalNewLightin.jpg

ShortFilm1.prj

you need to put all the models in to it as well, goto www.box.net upload it there in a .zip file and link it...ok.

btw heres an example gradient that im using.

[attachmentid=22309]

put it in the gradient file in the A:M main file.

also its not the light intesity that counts its the type fo light. me, i always use a klieg light with z-bufferd shadows, it also wise to have the light shadow dark ness under 40%,depending on what mood you want.

also cheak out this post i did a while ago

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24228

soft_anime.zip

I took Black Mage's advice and changed the toon gradient and the darkness setting in the lights and rendered one of the shots.

http://www.box.net/public/g5m5etrlgy

personally i think it's too bright for them to be in a cave, but i'm not going to worry about it until render time, i've still got a lot of other things to do before i can start rendering this project. also, here's the project file i posted earlier, with the models this time. (i don't know why i didn't think to include them before.)

http://www.box.net/public/eorarsfptd

true true...but its better than having to squench to see every thing...try diffrent gradients...just make shure that all the chacters are visible, the back ground you can care less. if you focused on the action(witch it seems you are) then have the background look as if it a dark glomy cave. btw, i noticed in you running animation that the shots keep going throught the leg...are you planning on useing cloth?

another btw great work on that vid, i like the camera angle. the runing is cool to you just gotta work on the characters smart skinning some more,

post-8313-1163731607_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Wow... just... WOW!

Finally, I found someone working with Earthbound stuff in A:M!

I am a huge Earthbound fan, I played Earthbound Zero, Earthbound, and I am almost finished with the Japanese version of Earthbound 2 (Mother 3) [it's actually easy to follow along with even though it's almost completely in Japanese.]

Anteways... Your Ness model is more realistic than the SSBM model, he almost actually looks like a real boy! That Titanic Ant model is actually pretty good too, considering you can only see a front view in the actual game.

I agree with the_black_mage about the lighting, although I don't think that's too big of an issue...

Maybe someday I will start an Earthbound project, but right now I'm too busy with playing music from the Earthbound series by ear. (I'm not kidding, I would play Earthbound music all DAY on the piano, that music is incredible!)

Anyways, great job!