Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

I finished this character up last night. He's not rigged yet but for those interested he's using the new hair particle system. There are no decals here, only material combinations. He weighs in at around 1200 patches. He rendered in about 2 and a half minutes, resolution 640x400, multi-pass x 16.

Okay Martin...there you go...like I promised. Comments are welcomed and encouraged. I appreciate any feed-back I can get. (Especially around the shoulder area.)

villager.jpg

villager1.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not bad at all. There are several things though:

1) His face seems overly splined. There are many splines down the mouth that wouldn't be missed if deleted. It also might eliminate the lumpy feel.

2) Lips seem very thin.

3) Hands are boxy looking. The palms seem small.

4) The arm placement is strange, but obviously stylised. I'm not sure how well it will rig and animate.

5) The particle hair is rather thin looking. I think the profile of each hair should be thickened in the middle.

6) Other style issues that are a matter of preference.

I hope that ego is still intact! :D Most of them are preference critiques.....your splinage skill level is good. So, you're over the worst of it. It's just a matter of making your models shine now.

The ego is okay :D I have to agree with the too many splines in the face. I was thinking about going back and getting rid of a few. That's usually how I do a model though. I place a ton in the face to help me shape it then start deleting extras.

The hands are boxy aren't they. I can do realistic hands pretty good. But for some reason I SUCK at cartoon hands. Beats me why, I just do. I just started working with the particle hair so thanks for the feed-back. Perhaps if I added another attribute to the hair and thickened it a bit? I'll redo them tonight and repost. Thanks for the feed-back Ken.

By the way, what do you mean by 'make them shine?'

Well, I tried the realistic modeling but found I enjoy cartoony characters better. I don't have any real boundries with them. They can look however I want (thus the arm placement for this guy) I think he's really gonna stand out once he's animated. And if not, I had fun modeling him.

Cool! Hey, didn't that cat used to play guitar for Guns N Roses?

If you aren't getting any lumps or creases in the face, leave it be. The extra patchwork helps when you go to animate the face. IMO

Slash LOL....Thanks for the tip John

Latest update. I've been working on a tavern and another character for my little short film. This character is a wizard. The tavern is about 40% complete. I rendered a close-up of the taverns front lanterns. Anyone have any advise on making glass. I just made it blue, with a white specular, and a small refraction, reflection. Comments and advise plz.

inn.jpg

lantern.jpg

mage0.jpg

Very Fun Characters & fun sets - the guy with the hat over his eyes might be a challenge to animate ? as the eyes & brows tend to easily help project the emotions of the character , will just mean strong, clearly read body language will be even more important - is he a main char? Looking forward to seeing this one

He is the main character. I've been sketching out drawings of diffrent emotions based on body positioning and such. The hat will actually help convey feelings by way of bones that allow if to bend, stretch, and squetch. So far the overall effect it very convincing I think.

*Update*

I pulled the squetch rig out and went back with the TSM2 rig instead. The squetch rig is good but the TSM2 rig is more customizable and easy to install. It took me two days just to get the squetch rig installed, with several errors. It took me about 1 hour to install the TSM2 rig with only two errors. And that was simply two cps assigned improperly. Nice job on the rig itsjustme, but way more work than I want to get involved in.

Now I simply need to do a couple fan bones, a little cp weighting, and a smart skinning and he'll be ready for a face rig. I also need to redo the area around the corners of the mouth but it simply a matter of breaking a couple splines and adding an extra spline in the corner area. I started writing up the script yesterday, and I've talked my girlfriend into narrating the story for me. I should have him completly rigged within a few days and I'll start roughing in the animation. I'll keep you all updated.

Of course this is for the MMC#4 so I can't show you everything :D but I'll show you enough to make you go hhmmmmmmm....