Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Effective MODELING

Final3D

I've been reviewing that some 3D artist start their models in 2d. They draw up the left/right side and then front/back. In which, they then integrate those two 2D outlines and make their 3D model. Other 3D artist seem to start off with just a couple patches and keep extruding and tweaking step by step.

Apparently, there is no true way to model, I presume. My question is this though, how do you as a 3D artist/modeler start your day when you begin making a model? Also is there an effective way to model, to speed up the process at times?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i personaly use a rotoscope, and every i use roto scope i make shute the model looks exactly like the picture, it really helps if your new to modeling. my first model turned out pretty bad,i had a drawing but no roto scope, it was a female character.the shape was all wrong, finaly i got a scanner and started using roto scopes. my modelings been better ever since.

my most recent model i'm working on

post-8313-1151589051_thumb.jpg

post-8313-1151589091_thumb.jpg

Well, for me drawing is just an initial stage of model design. I think if you if you don't draft it on paper first to visualize what you are planning to model you would end up wasting time trying to make the model as similar as what you imagine or visualize in your head. It's important to have a specific target.

Relying entirely on "image planes" or rotoscope (especially characters) will bring about some problems though, especially perspective distortion (in photos) or images/drawings do not line up or orient properly. This is where talent is important so you can fill in these gaps.

For me I always use distortion boxes and modelling in cho mode to compensate for the use of rotoscopes at various stages in modelling.

For speeding up modelling process there's too much to write and I don't think I can write it all in here. I can suggest that it takes trial and error to see what works best for an artist's own style. Some artists use their own personal models that they have built up over time as templates to speed things up, others use the free models in the cd.

It takes a while though for you to 'get the hypnotic zen factor of pulling points around' to be proficient in modelling.

• Admin

Great topic!

Drawing helps to simplify the idea.

Sometimes translating the concept to a sketch provides just enough information to let the modeler know what is required and what can be disgarded. In some cases the sketch may reveal weakness in the design that would have only been found after many hours of laborious work. If discovered too late in the process that means a lot of re-modeling and wasted effort.

Rotoscopes (and drawings in general) are an excellent tool to promote effective design to ensure the model is setup for successful animation.

*Looks like much of what I've posted has already been said here. ;)

i personaly use a rotoscope, and every i use roto scope i make shute the model looks exactly like the picture, it really helps if your new to modeling. my first model turned out pretty bad,i had a drawing but no roto scope, it was a female character.the shape was all wrong, finaly i got a scanner and started using roto scopes. my modelings been better ever since.

my most recent model i'm working on

Your shape is a little off, based on your rotoscope ;)

Untitled_1.jpg

As someone who tends to model real objects, I spend a lot of time looking for reference photos, hopefully but not necessarily rotoscope worthy. At the very least I need a rough sketch to give me an idea of shapes and proportions. The attached image shows the gestation of a chandelier bracket I'm working on.

sketch.jpg

For me the BULK of modeling is observation...You must study ur model really well before attempting to create it..Do a few sketches and think as u sketch how u will actually model it.... You approach ur models in this thought process and modeling will become more practical to you....Always draw or use references!!!

Seems to be a lot of forum post-removal these days.. too bad. Some of that seems to me to be an opportunity to communicate with dis-enfranchised new users. Much easier to just yank the post, I guess.

So is there more on learning to spline other than ye olde tincan tutorials these days? Or is there a modeling challenge thread around somewhere (seems the forums kinda exploded when I wasn't paying attention).

Ooh, a modeling challenge might be fun!

We start off with an image of a fairly simple object (Nothing as complex as a car, say, unless it's a fairly cartoony car) and preferably an image that can be used as a rotoscope.

Then, whover we pick as having the best solution (Best looking, most usable mesh) gets to pick the next object.

As far as learning to model, study whatever wireframes you can find! they help a lot. For advanced creature and human modeling, study Colin Freeman's Cooper tutorials, as well as wireframes of his other creations. Also study Yves' wireframes too. Yves has a wonderfully economical style.

Also is there an effective way to model, to speed up the process at times?

we can discuss the use or not of images 2d as molds, processes to unite splines... etc.. etc

but the first step to speed up the process is learn the keyboard shortcuts... they are indispensable for a fast modelling...