sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

a new animation: scope bot explores the plank

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great little story Jam. Can't wait to see his reaction when the plank doesn't go down :lol:

My critique is about when he lands; it's too stiff, needs a follow thru because the landing is kinda quick. I'd expect either a bounce (rubber tire), or a bounce of the neck.

Good job though. I remember when you built that model. Nice to see it come alive.

Throwing ideas into the ring... How about having the robot taking a quickly glance over his shoulder (ok, what shoulder?) to make sure no one's looking. It'll engage the audience, because everyone's been tempted at some point to partake of childish pleasures without wanting to be seen doing so.

I think what's gonna happen next is he's gonna go back around and do it again except the plank won't move when he goes up...
String it out a bit... First time around as you've shown.

Second time around he gets a bit more confident and starts playing around - a little spin, balancing half way along, the plank teetering about the horizontal.

N'th time around <Insert other gags here as you think of them>.

Last time around he he gets his comeuppance with your punchline - the plank not moving resulting in a pratfall.

Can you animate those eyebrows?

jam,

I love this.

Here are a few more things to consider ...

Keep him balanced above his tire.

Don't let him lean forward unless he's moving in that direction.

So, if he's leaning forward while in one place,

put more weight behind the tire with the middle part of his body.

As a unicyle rider, I feel the balance issues as I watch this.

I think that tire should be moving back and forth more.

So, the lean back before the stop

needs to be more pronounced too.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of "his" adventures!

------------

Stuart, some great ideas man! I'll keep those in mind.

------------

nimble, I get what you're saying. I wanted him to lean forward, though, so he I could show that he was going as fast as he could. It's kinda like when you lean forward on a bike when you want to go fast. Maybe I should just have him in that position for a few seconds then go right back to the neutral position. I'm still thinkin' about the tire moving back and forth. I dont' know if I should do that. That'll make the guy look old and unconfident. This wheel is like his leg. He's been growing up with it under him all his life. He's already achieved the feat of keeping the wheel under control. I will, however, move the body back when he moves forward.

-------

Adios

My 2 bits...

I think your 'bot' would be more endearing and believable if he had an action that made him 'balance'...kind of like a guy on a unicycle...he would go forward a little...back a little etc when he is standing still. Also, when he climbs the plank if he were to pause at the halfway point as the board's gravity flips sides, and then roll down the plank...

Looking good!

ok..update...I figured out a new way that he could look back..check it out

mmmm.. sorry Jam, it didn't read very well. I had to replay it few times before I realized what it did. :(

To make it look back, I'd turn the head around first (around, not up & over), and then have the body follow afterwards. Like a person on a bicycle, or those extreme sport bicycling where the person looks at the target while manuvering the bike, usually in a tight circle, to face the target then stop.

hmmm...I want him to be a high-tech bot, but looking like so little. that's why I wanted to have him "turn aoround" like that

OK, in that case either zoom in on that area, or somehow move the camera so that it enhances the binocular eyes moving backward.

I'm sorry, I'm being too picky, this is a WIP afterall - so, never mind me <_<

(back to lurk mode)