Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New Character Design

Here is my latest character. :) Yes, I know...it's just his head. His name is Captain "Lucky" Starz . He is a spaceship pilot. Or soon will be! I haven't decided on a design for the rest of him yet. If anyone has any suggestions, please speak up. B)

What I DO know so far...

1) humanoid body

2) some kinda space getup

3) imagination, imagination, imagination

I am still working on some sketches (but I'm really NOT a very good sketch artist) and I will post

those as I go.

post-6871-1128721461_thumb.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is version 2 of this character's head. Since he was looking rather horsey, I added a mane/mohawk and decided on the space alien horsey look. I am rather pleased with the way the head is turning out. I'm also not going to go overboard on textures since I am trying to accomplish a more cartoony look.

post-6871-1128793056_thumb.jpg

Haikalle, I think that Arkaos is trying to show different texture between the head and mouth, but that is just my view. I really like the cloths, but the boots look a little funny on the inside. I have a pair of boots that I created for my Invisible masked character, if you would like to see them, just let me know. Anyways, I would like to get to the level of making the characters smooth like that. Anyways, good work. James

It's nice design but what's that line between mouth and face.

I included that to act as a visual separator between the two differently colored areas. I have no problem with doing something like that, since this piece is supposed to be fairly cartoony and less photo-real. Without the border there, It just didn't look very good with two contrasting colors bordering each other.

In the future, I may replace the surface coloring in favor of a decal with gradient blending between the two color areas. I will see how it goes, but so far I kinda like the way it looks.

I really like the cloths, but the boots look a little funny on the inside. I have a pair of boots that I created for my Invisible masked character, if you would like to see them, just let me know.

Yes, I would LOVE to see your boots :D

...Boy Id hate to wake up with that head in my bed........

Even worse, wake up with that head on YOUR BODY. EEEEEEEEEEK!

Odog said:

Anyways, I would like to get to the level of making the characters smooth like that.

The key to smooth characters is to only put enough splines and cp's needed to define the curve of the surface and at strategic spots for animating. This is my third full-blown character. He has more detail than my others (for the most part) but he also has a lot fewer splines than his predecessors. It is so much easier to smooth out and tweek a character when you are not overwhelmed by the sheer cp count. Also, your processor will be happier too!

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks, Dark. He is probably my best character yet, I think. Better design, lower density, better rigging, etc. It was fun and I learned so much doing him.

I just think his body could be a little more defined just to add a bit more character to him........

He still has a few clothing accessories in process (blaster, holster, changing the belt buckle, adding a short goofy cape, utilities for his belt) so those probably won't be shown until I create the set for my goofy intro movie clip. He is the first of 2 characters I need for that, plus one vehicle. I may start a new post for the work-in-process for the intro movie....stay tuned!

Great to have you back, I have been waiting to see more of you character. I only noticed that you did more by seeing your avatar in another thread. He still looks good as always, and thanks for the modeling tips a while back, although I am trying to get throu the ABC. Well, can't wait to see him in action.

James