Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Salt Lake City

Hey guys, I've received a commission from a buddy of mine to create a couple classic buildings from Salt Lake. Namely Temple Square. I've got the temple itself built (no textures yet) and just wanted to ask what would be the best way to achieve a granite effect. I don't want to re-decal every inch of this thing and was wondering if I can somehow material-map this thing with a single equally scaled image facing the same direction Then repeat it with a bump map of the same size, etc. Any suggestions?

post-7849-1128121700_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not familiar with the building but it’s a Great job of modeling!

For texture it depends on how close you are going to bring the camera to the surface. Since it's such a large structure the camera may not often get close to the surface. Would a shader be enough? Perhaps only decal surfaces that the viewer would get a close look at and use a shader for the rest.

Mark

I don't want to re-decal every inch of this thing

Had to say: Absolutely Fantastic model ! Sorry I'm not a materials expert...

(Since you said RE-decal ? - I'm actually missing the point as to why you don't want to just replace the image you're using already for the decal(s) with one of granite (at whatever viewing resolution you need) for those decals where appropriate.)

Wow! that's an amazing model. You may want to take your query to the Hash Materials laboratory forum. There are some pretty smart people over there when it comes to materials... namely ZPiDER. Try talking to him.

BTW: that's one of the best architectual models i've ever seen come through A:M. Nice job.

Here's a reference image that shows the granite exterior.

DSCN2533_The_Temple_CWor-vi.jpg

I'm considering just making one huge decal-projection map for each side and contrasting the initial image with brick exterior for a bump-map.

Now here's a predicament that I tried to work with yesterday. Those spot-lights on the spires, I've tried kliegs and spotlights pointing up towards the spire, but they aren't lighting correctly. I'll tinker again once I get the decal done.

ok - now I understand - I think...somehow I thought you were wanting to use procedural materials...

yes of course, you can decal each side with 1 giant decal. And you can have multiple images for the same decal container. Each image can specify a different method for application such as: color, bump, displacement, etc..

So for example, for one decal - it could contain multiple images (each image could be the same or different) where one could be for color, other for bump. (all images get mapped the same way to the patches)

And you could also have 2 decals applied to the same patches - where 1 specifies color, the other bump. (the decals can be mapped differently)

Hope I'm still not misunderstanding your question.

You can use BitMap Plus Plugin with some nice granite texture... I've seen some on the Internet... IMHO it would take a lot of load from your back ;oP... Of course, you should make nemed groups to apply it... but I guess you already have done that...

Drvarecto

p.s. yo coul also take a look at the Darktrees... you may find something there

Dang, well the construction was a pain because evidently in one of the original patches there was a double spline which ended up cloning an extra thousand patches or so (and I'm not exactly sure where to start to fix it).

I had to build it in three parts. The two sides are essentially the same model reversed along the X-axis and each side loads at 18 K polys.

The middle section which contains the front and rear columns counts about 12k and the basic copper roof counts 30 polygons.

So we do the math and it's about 48 grand, easily the highest poly model I've ever built, eclipsing the previous model 3 fold.

But since 90% of the polys are sharp and there's only two mesh colors to deal with, it loads relatively fast and renders quick.

Now my computer's a grand P.O.C. from five years ago, and having recently tried to map a brick texture onto the model I depleted its virtual memory and I had to manual reboot the computer.

Pucha che, necesito una nueva computadora pues.

• Admin

Beautiful work!

Have you investigated Marcel Bricman's BitMap Style plugin? (Not to be confused with Marcel's Bitmap Plus which also might be worth the look)

A combination of Bitmap Style and John Henderson's suggestions in the post might do the job.

Rodney

Edit: Whoops! I missed this part of your post:

need to update from Version 2000 ASAP so I can actually use Bitmap + or something of the like.

As you suggest I don't think Marcel's latest and greatest will work with A:M 2000. Sorry.

Edited by Rodney

Now that your model is complete you should realy consider radiosity for the shot, instead of 80% darkness kelig shadows. I just upgraded from 2000 too, and the new radiosity method far surpasses anything from 2000. lol. I have a model right now that i posted in wip that utilizes the radiosity feature. Radiosity gives your pictures so much more believability, and awesomeness. :lol: