Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Paint Cans and Brushes

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My only problem is the bit of white at the end of the brush. I'm guessing that the edge of the brush from the picture you took?

You must mean the brush without paint on it, the one leaning on the can.

Actually the tip of paint brushes are near white in color so its accurate to my eye but I can see how others might view it as a little off.

I really appreciate the comments.

:D

I love the drip - beautiful reflections, colors, nice composition, interesting to look at -

one thing that bothers me is that the end of the brush with the paint on it (where there is no paint) needs to have a more "bristley" look to be more consistent with the rest of the brush -

also there's something funny about how perfect the concentric circles in the paint are - would prefer to see it slightly less regular, maybe slightly off center ?-

nice work

one thing that bothers me is that the end of the brush with the paint on it (where there is no paint) needs to have a more "bristley" look to be more consistent with the rest of the brush -

-Ya your so right, i have to photoshop that for sure

also there's something funny about how perfect the concentric circles in the paint are - would prefer to see it slightly less regular, maybe slightly off center ?-

- The rings are incorrect in a few ways. I dont think they sould go smaller to bigger

That is, they seem to have more of an effect the further out they go. I was just so happy to make ripples i rushed to post it (hehe)

I also couldnt get a grasp on lighting at all. I got some good advice on beginner forum on constraints and ended up with what I thought to be a pretty good looking still.

Thnks for your comments, I agree with you 100 percent :)

Looks very good. You could actually help give the look of the bumpy look on the bottom of the brush by using a bump map on the bottom. The only other thing I would change would be adding a slight bend to the bristles on the brush leaning against the can. It looks to stiff being a straight line like it is.

Also, are your objects touching the ground or are you using z-buffered shadows? The shadows kind of make it look like the objects are floating. If the objects are on the floor, try using ray traced shadows. To soften the edges of the shadows when you use ray traced, you could do multi-pass or cast multiple rays or both.

one thing that bothers me is that the end of the brush with the paint on it (where there is no paint) needs to have a more "bristley" look to be more consistent with the rest of the brush.

I have to agree with Nancy on this one. Just a little too squarish on the end. Have you experimented with using a hair emitter for the bristles?

How did you do the drip of paint? Is that hand modeled or a blobby?

Another thing to consider that would make the scene more believable is the effects of gravity. What I mean by that is, the brush that is leaning up against the paint can should have a bit of a bend in it where the bristles meet the ground. Right now it's just too ridged looking. Plus if you look at the brush's reflection on the can I think it's actually floating above the ground slightly. Make sure you check your shot from teh side views to prevent this from happening.

One more thing, this is more of a composition issue. I would turn the main can in relation to the camera. Right now it's looking almost head on and you're losing some of the depth of the shot because of it.

Hopefully these two images will give you an idea of what I'm talking about (please forgive me, I whipped them out in about 10 seconds).

Paint1.jpg

Paint2.jpg

All in all, it's a great shot. I especially like the lighting. Very artistic.

Overall, very nice. I like the scene and set up. However, be careful - the nearest brush is actually intersecting the paint can. If you look at the very top at the tip of the brush it is colliding right into the top of the can... ;)

Tony

Very nice. The only two things I would recommend are less rings in the paint. Real paint is far too thick to make that many rings. So you might want to go for just one or two smaller ones and a higher spike in the middle to make it look like thick goop. Second, you might want to add more form to the hairs on the brush to make them more believable. But other than that nice work!