Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Vegeta

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make a very spliney limb and pull up some lumps and shape them. As long as you make a very spliney circle, you can extrude it several times to make a spliney limb. Why don't you look at colin freeman's tutorial? It's very helpful and you can ask him himself about how he created his superhero. He has a lot of muscles. (not Colin his model) (To colin: no harm meant "(not Colin)".) Note that right now I have no idea what I'm saying. I'm tired. clickety clikc. clciktey ciclk.

Wow... are you sure you need that many splines in your guy's face? It seems a pretty unnecessary... especially for a cartoony character. I think it is just going to make him lumpy, and animation near-impossible. I would eliminate about half the splines. Especially around the cheek and nose areas. Don't make more work for yourself than you need to.

-Andrew

Wow, he really does look like him. When do you start the body?

as soon as possible, wish I had atleast a human body roto... but I'll see what I can come up with. Google is a sassy little thing...

EDIT: still got one minior prob tho: ears... I hate ears! :P I removed his old "plate"formed ears and am trying to make a good ear, without any luck <_< I've tried just about every tutorial, but I just seem to suck really REALLY bad at ear-making

I've seen this before and I want to know... what are the yellowish hair like structures pertruding from the face in that last picture? Is that or what, because if that is some specialty in A:M that helps you model, I want to know about it.

Those are called surface normals. Tools--options--modeling--display normals.

Every 3D software I have worked with has these. Basically they effect materials and various dynamic effects. For instance, if you use the cloth sim try this test. Create a hanging fabric/drape then make the normals face a certain direction. Have the cloth glide across the objects and note the difference between when the side with the normals pointing toward the objects compared to the other. The way it effects materials (to the best of my understanding) can be seen in the porcelain material. What the shader does is looks to the surface normals to help the render engine to determine how light and shadow should pass across the model. In most cases you want all of your normals facing out of the model as opposed to in.

As it pertains directly to AM be careful with your 5 pointers in a lot of cases (actually most of mine for some reason) the normal wants to point into the model as opposed to out of the model. Be sure to flip these by selecting the patch, right/command clicking and selecting flip normal.

If you want I can create the simulation I'm talking about--just PM or something and I will--I'm just taking a break from one of my projects right now so I figured I'd run around here for a minute.

J