Ger in the Gobi Scene

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest mrsl13

Ok... get back on this forum and give us some clues on how you did this...its a sweet scene.....did you model the plants?....very impressive...want to see more!!

Mike C

Thanks for all the positive feed back! This is my second scene that I've actually put the work into to finish. I've messed with AM for a few years, but mostly haven't had time to complete many pictures.

Yes, I didn't use a lot of displacement maps. The ger is the only place that I actually used any decals though. I really wanted to see what I could do with mostly materials, and was pleasantly surprised at what they could do with some experimenting. Everything but the grass blades was modelled. I used the hair plugin for that. Much easier and renders pretty fast. The stones were placed by hand in the river bed, but it didn't really end up that you could see many of them. Has anyone come up with a better way to scatter little stones?

Again, thanks for the comments! Here's a wireframe of the scene.

-Nathan

post-8-1105321743.jpg

• Admin

Reminds me of some of the early work of Brian Prince who as many know is legendary in these parts.

One part that caught my eye was the water (I'm assuming it is water here).

There doesn't seem to be much to distinquish it from a dry creekbed, water filled, etc. I'm not sure what it is... perhaps the reflection? It is definitely water but would seem to need some subtle reflection of the blue from the sky in it's current volume.

Still looks great though...

Nice job! :)

Good observation on the water rodney. Thanks for the advice. Some blue in there would definitely bring it out. I messed with the reflection blend and filter for the first time with that material, so that could also have something to do with it.

The hills are a displacement material, and then a color and bump material. The model used for the hills is pretty low patch count really.

-Nathan