Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

snowball down hill 1st idea

johnl3d

threw this together tonight ~1/2 hour ..someone wanted to have a rock hit some snow going downhill as in 3d mag/lightwave...I haven't really looked at it just glanced and tried this idea

its rigid body on a rock, cloth rut and a few sprites for now

as time allows i'll try other ideas ..open for suggestions also

got a bad cold so this is all i have time for I think it was Paul ..new user I believe

snowball.mov

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

animated displacement could be the next step but since it was late and i had not tried cloth for a while i just threw that together. or instead of animated displacement a series of bones controlled with a % pose slider like i did for a few other things. I used the cloth mostly because it would give the snow bounce when it animated but that could also be controlled by poses

for those who want attempt something similar the first step is make a "mountain side" make another model for the rock. place the rock above the the slope in the chor then add rigid body constraint to the rock and then simulate... the rock will bounce down the surface and by adjust the bounce etc you can get a good rolling rock. the rest can be done some of the ways mentioned here plus adding the sprites for snow.

will post something more as time allows

Maybe, instead of cloth, you could use and animated displacement map.  It's looking great so far.

Yea in the magazine of 3d World I think it was issue 58 or something like that...They used displacement maps for the indents of the ground so when the rock hit the ground it would only make the ground go in where the rock hit and it would stay that way. B)

Paul ;)

Okay i did one more try the rest is up to the next volunteer ..

I have one model which is the hill and the rock I used a pose slider to position the rock and deform the hill..the timing is pretty close but ...anyway i then had some sprite snow turn on and off in the chor by adjusting the emission rate when the time seemed right

snowball3.mov

So anyway ....here is the project file the sprite is the spots on the cd ..data materials particles sprites I'll answer any question but I got other stuff I have to work on

Hope this helps Paul ...Hey Jeff you can tweak it now :D

(Jeff lives near by)

Good Night and Happy New Year

Johnl ..3d

oh I use 11.1 the latest

snowball3.prj

Thank you so much John for helping me figure this one out :rolleyes: . The last test you did nailed it right on the head. Thanks so much! There is so much you can do with this now. Im gonna work with what you left us and see what I can do. Maybe I can make a scene of a huge rock falling off a cliff into a pile of snow <_< . Ahhh well thanks again John this is really what I was looking for :).

Paul

this is not really complete but I hope it gives you a way to proceed. I should have used some bones on the trench segment to get better control of the depression.

Hopefully the rough project will still be helpful .

John ...hours away from 2005 ..3d