sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Bimba Air Cylinder

ddustin

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Dave,

You know, all I had to do was see "Bimba Air Cylinder" and I knew right away who started this post!

I am not sure about that one boolean. Are you doing the same thing at the back of the cylinder? That one appears to be ok. Interesting how it's ok in the fully retracted and fully extended position, but elsewhere, it's an anomolie.

Nice work.

Eugene

Gene,

Someday I'll do something organic. :lol:

I don't know why the front bolean goes transparent, I even added another internal cylinder around the rod of the cylinder that was less in diameter than the bolean, but it still shows through.

Seems to me there was a post a while ago about the perils of using boleans, and the unpredictable results. Maybe one of the smart guys with offer an explanation.

I tried to model the hole in but it didn't work well, the curved surface thing interfered.

Realisticlly, I could put flow controls or fittings in the holes (EDIT: done), as they would be there on the equipment.

An mov is attached.

EDIT: Modified the model to have fittings. Looks better.

David

Bimba2.mov

Hey Dave,

If your like me...I scare myself silly when I try organic modeling. :o

I like what you did with the fittings. Looks good and avoids Booleans. :blink:

I am curious about a couple of things:

Did you use a decal for the threads? If they are going to be seen, adding a bump map using the same decal does wonders!

Also, are you using high reflectivity for the body or is it a decal all the way around?

Cheers,

E

I am curious about a couple of things:

Did you use a decal for the threads?  If they are going to be seen, adding a bump map using the same decal does wonders!

Also, are you using high reflectivity for the body or is it a decal all the way around?

I created the "illusion" of threads by lathing finely peaked splines (image attached).

The only decal is the bimba logo (had to squish the logo to get it to look right). The body is set to 10% reflectivity, some ambiance, and specularity.

Gazzamataz,

Funny, I say the same things about organic modelling.

Wonder if it's a left brain, right brain thing, are possibly previous exposure to mechanical design software like AutoCad etc....

Thanks,

David

post-7-1100609392.jpg

The model looks great. I can see that banging away really quickly as part of another massive machine. You're model is faultless, but I'd like to see you improve the presentation. Although this looks better than your previous projects.

They seemed innocuous enough at first, but ended up being the wrong choice.

I chose to go with the fittings instead, which gave it a more realistic look anyway.

May still add air hoses, but that'll have to wait. I'm re-modeling my Fanuc 2000iA/165F robot. Starting over actually.

Thanks,

David