Hyperspace

Grubber

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's an interesting start, but unfortunately it reminds me of one of the lamer sequences in "Titan A.E." Yes, I'm one of the three people who actually saw that one.

At the very least it needs more of a sense of scale. Maybe get the camera closer to the ship, and don't show us the "side" of hyperspace.

Sorry this isn't more constructive! :)

It looks to me like a side image of a space ship traveling through a worm hole of some sort. I think it would be cool if you took this one step further and maybe grabbed a shot of the camera behind the ship as it's traveling through the tunnel. Maybe blur the walls of the worm hole to simulate speed...

Or if your into the side scroll scene, extend the ceiling & terrain out some towards the camera, that will loan to the illusion that the viewer is there with the ship.

...and

I'd probably lose the lens flare. There's not enough information about where the ship is... the Jelly Nebula perhaps. :) There are some fantastic images of deep space you can use for reference to build some great space shots. You can also add the blue glow of it's exhaust in the rear... ;)

I agree with Nerrazzi. I would switch from the side shot to behind the ship and to the side some. A nice angle of it going into hyperspace. Maybe from in front if that would get the desired effect.

As is, it sort of looks like a sidescrolling nintendo game. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of Babylon5, which is probably the kind of look you're going for.

I wonder if a hyperspace tunnel needs some refractive effects, since it is supposed to distrort space/time...

A "streak" particle emitter can make a pretty nice "star trek" streaking stars effect too, that might look good with your tunnel. keep going!

A "streak" particle emitter can make a pretty nice "star trek"  streaking stars effect too, that might look good with your tunnel. keep going!

I agree. There seems to be a need for some stretching of space or something to give it that extreme feeling of motion through hyperspace.

The side shot looks a lot like the old "Gradius" videogame. Perhaps it might look a bit more hyperdimensional if you could apply a volumetric texture to some deliberately-patch-artifacted models. All those mistakes where odd creases and curves lead off into nowhere might be a plus in another dimension...

Might not. :blink:

I'd have to agree that some blurring and distortion would help the hyperspace effect, but leave the ship pretty much sharp and in focus. I'm not certain what to think of the starfield background though. In a way, I don't care for it too much, but I can't think of an alternative.