Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The Ghost of Thom

In the short I'm working on, I have a ghost that appears for a bit and would like it so that he is not only transparent, but also casts a small bit of light on whatever he is near. This is a brief exercise into trying to create the effect of that. It still needs a bit of tweaking, but let me know what you think.

Ghost of Thom

Sorenson 3 compressed

8 sec.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this quite a bit and I'll be doing something like this for one of my next projects.

The one thing that struck me as a bit out of place is the placement of the "ghost light", it seems centered on Thom's midsection. It takes away from the effect, have you considered a more "full body" light?

Oh, with ghosts, it helps add a certain "netherworldly" quality if you tint the light with a touch of blue or green.

At then end, the light against the wall that Thom walks into seems a bit too intense, or maybe I"m being picky.

In any case, excellent work. Very inspiring.

Steve P.

• Admin

Nice! Very nice.

Thom getting to do cool stuff again too! :)

You might want to lower the brightness a bit... and possibly add a bit of color as has been suggested.... otherwise looking good to me!

Thanks for the replies, people.

I'm rerendering as I type this and hope to get the results of some of the minor tweaks up by Thursday at the latest.

Now to address some comments and questions.

CreativeAustin Yankee - There are actually thirteen lights making the glow of Thom. Extending from his feet to his head. I will probably use more lights in my project. I'm not certain why it looks like the light is predominately eminating from the middle of the character. :shrug:

KingSalami - More info will be forth coming on this, if people are interested. But in a nutshell, the clip is comprised of three renders. A background render (contains all scene elements except for Thom), a gray-scale render (to create the transparency), and the render of Thom doing the action (contains all scene elements except for the glow effect). They are then composited together in Final Cut Pro.

• 2 months later...

Groovy stuff!

I'm not certain why it looks like the light is predominately eminating from the middle of the character. :shrug:

(or his feet...)

Probably because of how it's hitting object like the floor and wall.

You might try adding some volumetrics, or at least glow, to get him lighting up the empty space in the room.

Very cool! Since you're compositing, you might consider duplicating the grayscale and offsetting it about 3 frames to give a ghostly trail behind him.

Perhaps this would be cliche-ic, but if one of the lights passed through the wall just shortly after Thom did, you could end up with that "pop" of light that so much sci-fi uses to indicate removal of the paranormal from the scene.