Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lady with Hair

Hi all,

just wanted to share the results of my current project. Color of hair in generated by a bitmap.

The Hairsystem is so cool, but after working a while with it, i would love to have som additional tools/options: It would be great to group/hide control splines. Brushing seems to affect only tle last controllpoints on a spline :-(

If i highlight a cp in one view and change to another, the selection is gone :-(

aside from that ... cool stuff!

Cheers

Heiner

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hihi,

no, there is no transparency. I shaped the hair to be thick at the start and slim at the end. Here is the next version ... this time the hair got out of controll a bit.

Heiner

At the moment i have a problem: The hair seems to be not elastic enough. In some places i can not bend the guides enough to create to look i want to have. How do i make the guides more "elastic"? any idea?

Heiner

Slowly i am getting, where i wanted to be ...

Thanks for the tip, jim, it helped a lot. Unfortunateley this means, that i have to move even more cps, i am sure, i will have a sore mousehand when i am done with this :-)

Heiner

_Hair_Test_Straehne1.jpg

Ok, step by step it is getting better ... as you hopefully can see :-)

Now i have a problem, and i dont know where it is coming from:

I am getting the color for my hair from a decal. The hair emitting geometry is divided in two Groups which have indepedent, unconected geometry. The one group for the main hair has two overpaling, but unconected groups of geometry.

I did this to gain mor controll of the hair, and where it is going ...

Now the problem is, that on the main hair, only one part gets its color from the Decal, the other side does not :-( ... it is in the same group, shares the same material shortcut, but does not show the color ...

Any ideas how to fix this?

Heiner

_Hair_Test_Straehne2.jpg

Hey Heiner.

Great looking lady with a nice fluffy mane :o)

My guess about the decal only affecting one side of the hair is you might have some control points that are not part of the geometry on which it is applied.

Under the decals stamp you can right click and 'select control points'. If you have added cp's to increase your control these could have been added after placing the decal so the decal needs to be reapplied.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Edit: Just out of curiosity. How long does it take to render with all that hair?

Hi Pix,

i am using 4 cps on the controlsplines. No, no decal to control length.

Here the latest result, slowly my client seems to be satified ... but still, waaaay to go ..... :huh:

Heiner

_Hair_Test__large0.jpg

Gettin better and better ...

... now it quite looks like real hair, unfortunateley i still have the problem with the coloring of the hair ... anybody out there who has an idea how to solve this problem? Thx ...

Heiner

Test_3fach.jpg

It's getting better alright. Unless you're going for the look, the hair still has a painted on quality to it. I don't know maybe this is as good as AM can do hair.

Hi,

the hair is getting its colour out of an decal. Currently i am quite happy with the hair, but i am sure, there can be done more. The problem is the render time which is getting bigger. 500x500 in full quality with all the bells and whistles now takes about an hour to render :-(

Cheers,

Heiner

Try adding a little specular to your hair as it will add a little sheen to each hair. Currently the hair color looks pretty good, but with out a bit of specular the hair looks flat. Also it looks as if you might have a bit of ambiance in your hair, and thus it doesn't look like there is much fall off happening on the left side of the character's hair when compared to the rest of the character. Removing or lowering the ambiance will also help add a little more depth to it. As a last suggestion I would try doing a render with the hair casting shadows as in this last image their are none,a nd it also might be contributing to the "flat" look of the hair.

Hey Heiner! I see that you are also been busy with V11 hair. Your correct about the tired handiwork for shaping hair. Im going to redo my model with more control point. However I tried to get Hair spline to work, and I haven't figure it out yet. I was given a clue that I must hold down the shift key when selecting spline for adding hair to it. I thought about selecting my fake toon hair mesh and strip it down to spline and then add hair to it.

I will keep ya posted tomorrow!

Your new hair looks great! and the head rework looks way better too!

The eyebrow looks too evenly thin and no tapering so looks a little oddish. I would also recomend reworking the eye lashes, I think its too clumpish. I hope Im not too harsh?