Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Duck Sauce

Well, at long last--well, only two days, but that's as long as it took to make the darn thing--our animated entry in the 48 Hour Film Project for Washington, D.C. is available on AMFilms:

http://amfilms.hash.com/search/entry.php?entry=744

A larger version (640x480, 33MB) is also available:

http://www.shipbrook.com/mpegs/DuckSauce.html

Just to remind everyone, this was created from start to finish--writing, acting, modeling, animation, rendering, editing, and music--in about 53 straight hours by a team of ten: six people local to D.C. and four others scattered throughout the Internet.

We were given a series of elements we had to incorporate (the genre was ours alone, but the rest were given to every team):

• Genre: mystery
  • Prop: rubber duck
  • Character: S. Baxter, professional photographer
  • Line of dialogue: "You know I love the _____."

It was screened at the American Film Institute's Silver Theater (Silver Spring, Maryland) on Wednesday May 11 to thunderous laughter and applause. Although it was handed in past deadline, and is therefore not eligible to go on to the Best of City or Best of Year competitions, it is eligible for an Audience Award (the audience's favorite among the films shown at that particular screening--about ten films, I believe).

Interestingly, one of the other teams' leaders came up to me afterward and said he knew none other than Martin Hash himself, from way back in San Francisco. The world is not small, it's microscopic.

A fuller account of the screening, for those who are interested, is here.

We'll be polishing up some of the rougher spots and releasing a Director's Cut later in the year (hopefully before SIGGRAPH).

Hope y'all enjoy it! :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zach -

Man oh man, let me be the first (well here anyway) to heartily congratulate you and the team. I can't believe how much you accomplished in the time given you !!! This is further proof story is king. Very well written and directed.

People - take the time and download this film. You won't be disappointed.

I cannot wait for the directors cut. My hat is off to you all (and the sun is burning my head). Great JOB !!!!

Doug

Awesome - I love the style and the story has it all!

If I was wearing a hat, I'd take it off to all of you.

I'm really looking forward to the Director's cut (and if you don't do a version with a commentary I'm gonna sulk)!

Someone did the calculation for how long it would take us to make a feature film. I don't have the number right here, so I did it myself. It's a pretty simple algabraic proportion. 48 hours = 2880 minutes. It would take us 38,400 minutes to make a 100 minute film, or approx. 640 hours, or a bit less than 4 weeks.

The only problem I see is the national coffee shortage that is guaranteed to happen afterwards. :D

• Hash Fellow

I'll put away my train wreck helmet and say I'm proud to have been a small part of it. It was very flattering to be asked to join in, particularly since I had not demonstrated the ability to do more than four or five seconds of animation in a week. Perhaps Zach was just desperate. None-the-less it fulfilled a long-time goal of mine that I might some day good enough to be asked to work on someone else's project.

I can't help but think that if we had roped in even just one more animator we would have made the 48 hour mark. It was exciting trying. Fence-sitters: you missed out.

I'm sure some people will sniff at this because it's not ultra detailed and textured 3D. Screw them.

I'm very impressed by the script Zach et al. produced in no time at all. I know people who are actually employed as writers who couldn't crank out a genre parody with all the elements in two months, never mind two hours.

And I am most envious that Zach has such a creative entourage of friends that can contribute to his projects. My friends think they're being creative if they replace their avocado refrigerator with a stainless steel one.

Congratulations on completing something so ambitious and seemingly impossible. More amazing is the completeness of the story. Hat's off to the team coordinator, script writers, sound engineers and editors.

Now I have a questions. How did the team learn to work remotely from an FTP in such a short time?

P.S. The title and role credits are great. :)

Thank you to everyone for the kind comments!

How did the team learn to work remotely from an FTP in such a short time?

Well, I'm not sure; except to say that it was very easy to create an FTP server with Mac OS X, a router, and a DNS alias service. For some reason I have three Macs now; two of them were running A:M in OS 9.2, and the third, which can only boot into OS X, ran the FTP server and my editing software.

Jeff Lee whipped together a neat utility for the PC which monitored a local directory (where A:M was saving Targa files he rendered) and sent them directly to the FTP site as soon as they were created. In most cases, it was faster to render and send from his PC than to render locally on my Macs.

Only one team member couldn't access my FTP site (still not sure why), so we also used the blog as a holding area for projects, models, storyboards, etc.

And it's possible that we didn't make the deadline because of travel time, in a sense; we did the writing and sound recording in one place and the animation work at another (my house). They were about fifteen minutes apart, and I was particularly ticked when I forgot the AC adapter for my laptop (the FTP machine) and had to waste a half-hour driving to the recording house and back to pick it up...

• Hash Fellow
how long have each of you been using AM?
I think i got V4 in 1997 maybe, but just fiddled with it. I used V5 quite a bit, but then Flash happened so I somewhat sat out v6,7,8,and 9. Last year, looking at a long Christmas break with nothing to do, I decided to give it one more try and have been dabbling with it since then.

It's not so much a contest as a film festival--more details can be found on their web site, at http://48hourfilm.com/, but in brief, the Project comes to a bunch of cities worldwide, the films are made during a specified weekend for each city, all completed films are screened at a local theater, and one film is chosen as "Best of City" and it goes on to compete as "Best 48-Hour Film of the Year." It started as a local festival in Washington, D.C. in 2001.

As for places to view the films, that's left to each individual filmmaker, but the Project does sell a best-of DVD for each year, IIRC.

We finished our film past the deadline, so we're not eligible to win anything except the Audience Award (essentially a popularity contest, taken from surveys filled out at each screening). AFAIK, that won't be announced until the Best of D.C. screening on June 11.

Where can we view the other entries to the contest?

Unless the other filmmakers put their works up on the Web, there isn't a place to do so.

And just in case there's a misconception, we were (to my knowledge) the only animated film entered in the Washington DC segment of the project. All the rest were live-action.

One question... how long have each of you been using AM?
'bout a year now.

How did the team learn to work remotely from an FTP in such a short time?

It was really easy, I was surprised to find out that it wasn't a server or anything, just a direct connection to Zach's laptop.

3D world has been alerted about Duck Sauce, though I have seen no reply to my email yet.