Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Mickey wants his beer! (and other oddities)

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Several years ago @Roger bought me a volume of the very early "Mickey Mouse" newspaper comic strips.

I'm re-reading it now and noticing some oddities I hadn't caught before...

April 30, 1930
MM0.jpg

That line was written by Walt Disney himself. He was still scripting the daily comic at this point.

• *A:M User*

Somewhere there is a video of Mickey making swiss cheese.   I don't know if it was an official "underground" Disney animation produced by a Disney animator or if it was made many years after the fact as a "fake".   I'd post it but it's a it risque..   

• robcat2075 changed the title to Mickey wants his beer! (and other oddities)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

Here's something I almost never see in these old Mickeys... breaking out of the frame.

A word balloon does it in the second frame and Mickey's hand  in the fourth frame overlaps the previous frame.

MM04.jpg

I'm not enough of a student of late 20s newspaper strips to know if this was novel or not, but I haven't caught them doing it since this strip.

There is one Mickey Mouse cartoon (Karnival Kid) where Mickey takes the top of his head (and two ears) off to greet Minnie.

That is the source of the Mickey Mouse hats which became a licensing bonanza.

MM-Hat.jpg

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

It turns out that Disney's standard animation tough guy Peg Leg Pete (seen above) may have a real-life inspiration.

RoadsideAmerica dot com has a story about a monument to "Liar Peg Leg Smith", a personality in early California history...

Peg Leg Smith was a "mountain man, prospector, and spinner of tall tales," who lived from 1801 to 1866. A born Kentuckian who staggered West and never returned, Smith claimed he found pure gold nuggets in the Borrego Springs area. Peg Leg would tell anyone who'd listen about the "fabulous wealth" hidden in the hills. It was hidden because Peg Leg couldn't exactly remember where the mine was....

CABORpegleg09.jpg

May be an image of outdoors