sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

In Memoriam: Carrie Fisher

Roger

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sadly, we've just come to that time in our lives when the people we remember from our youth are aging and dying. Last year was really tough for us Star Trek fans. We lost 23 Trek related souls (including Leonard Nimoy and Grace Lee Whitney ...and Nichelle Nichols had a stroke.)

I remember looking up the Births/Deaths for 1986 (the year I graduated HS) and being floored by the number of high profile deaths (Cary Grant, Jimmy Cagney, Donna Reed, Frank Herbert, Ray Milland, Otto Preminger, Howard da Silva, Broderick Crawford, Georgia O'Keefe, Gordon MacRae, Wallis Simpson, Robert Alda, Alan Jay Lerner, Sterling Hayden, Benny Goodman, Marlin Perkins, Kate Smith, Rudy Vallee, Murray Hamilton, Dar Robinson, Vincent Minnelli, Ted Knight, Frank Nelson, Hal B. Wallis, Keenan Wynn, Forrest Tucker, Paul Frees, Roger C. Carmel, Jerry Colonna, Scatman Crothers, Desi Arnaz, Elsa Lanchester, and Lloyd Haynes.)

We've certainly had more high profile people die in a single year, but it's happening to "our" people now.

• *A:M User*

Sadly, we've just come to that time in our lives when the people we remember from our youth are aging and dying. Last year was really tough for us Star Trek fans. We lost 23 Trek related souls (including Leonard Nimoy and Grace Lee Whitney ...and Nichelle Nichols had a stroke.)

I remember looking up the Births/Deaths for 1986 (the year I graduated HS) and being floored by the number of high profile deaths (Cary Grant, Jimmy Cagney, Donna Reed, Frank Herbert, Ray Milland, Otto Preminger, Howard da Silva, Broderick Crawford, Georgia O'Keefe, Gordon MacRae, Wallis Simpson, Robert Alda, Alan Jay Lerner, Sterling Hayden, Benny Goodman, Marlin Perkins, Kate Smith, Rudy Vallee, Murray Hamilton, Dar Robinson, Vincent Minnelli, Ted Knight, Frank Nelson, Hal B. Wallis, Keenan Wynn, Forrest Tucker, Paul Frees, Roger C. Carmel, Jerry Colonna, Scatman Crothers, Desi Arnaz, Elsa Lanchester, and Lloyd Haynes.)

We've certainly had more high profile people die in a single year, but it's happening to "our" people now.

I suppose when you think about it like that, it is inevitable. Doesn't make it easier. I mean, I of course never knew Carrie Fisher personally or even met her at a convention or anything, but you get to feel like you know a person through their body of work. And 60 is just too damn young. These other untimely deaths are also rattling me because I'm much closer to them in age, I think that has something to do with it as well.

I only saw Carrie Fisher once at a smallish convention here in Dallas. They had her signing autographs on a stage in the dealer's room, so you could see her fairly close up without having to be in the autograph line. I was struck by how attractive she was in person and she seemed to enjoy meeting the fans. It was definitely a blow to lose her. Especially thinking that had she not been on a plane in flight at the time, it might have been different.

A good friend of mine from high school who's my age had a massive heart attack recently and the surgeons told him it was a miracle he survived it. I was talking to another friend at the time and we realized the three of us hadn't been in the same place in about 25 years. We agreed to have a mini-reunion in the near future rather than wait until two of us show up at the funeral for the third.

Really makes you contemplate your mortality.

Man, this year is really bad... there have been many great guys and gals dieing MUCH too early... I mean 60? mid 50s and stuff like that... what is that? Average life expectation is what? 85-87 here in Germany... 25-30 years too early? I mean hello?

At least we see what drugs and stress are doing to your body... maybe a few less will take those now...

See you
*Fuchur*