Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Free online animation course from NFTS/FutureLearn

Rodney

• Admin

I don't know much about this but saw it and didn't want anyone to miss out if interested.

Apparently there is a free online animation course from Futurelearn.

Here's the write up:

Whether you’re a budding animator or a fan of animation who wants to understand more about what happens behind-the-scenes, this free online course from the internationally acclaimed National Film and Television School (NFTS) will have something for you.

Over four weeks, our team of award-winning animators will take you through their approach to telling stories and demystify their own animation technique.

Each week, our contributors will use examples from their own work, as well as the animated films that have influenced and inspired them, to enable you to explore different forms of animation:

1 - Stop motion or stop frame animation.

2 - 2D or cel animation.

3 - Big-scale animation in the real world.

4 - CGI or 3D computer animation.

The NFTS has teamed up with Creative Skillset to offer this course. Explore Animation features a number of award-winning short films made by recent graduates of the NFTS, and opportunities for you to try out small-scale animation techniques.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/explore-animation

I don't have specifics but according to the article I gleaned this from the course is free for the next month only.

It appears to be part of a bid to get more interest going in online classes after a $200K investment from Creative Skillset.

• *A:M User*

This looks interesting, do the classes meet at a set time or are you just required to view the lectures at your convenience and post an exercise by such-and-such date? I'm thinking about signing up but not sure if this is compatible with my current work schedule.

Well I signed up and so far my impression of the course is that it is very much a beginner's "get your feet wet" type course but I still think that the content is of use to more experienced people, if only as a refresher. It is also interesting to see all different perspectives everyone has.

• ____ 1

JohnL3D, you're going to have to wave at me on the course forums. Haven't seen you yet. I posted a link there to my WIP here, hopefully people find it helpful. My current goal is to complete an animatic by end of this month.