Portrait lighting poster

Tore

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Thanks Tore!

I'd say this might be an example of where the desired pose (style of portraiture) dictates the lighting more than anything?

Otherwise it'd be good to have her maintain the same pose throughout all of the various changes in order to better evaluate the lighting change.

There are some pretty dramatic changes in the poses of the lady and the captions/descriptions don't address that effect from initial setup to lighting.

Of course the whole point of the guide is for lighting portraits. :)

• Hash Fellow

Thanks Tore. I like comparison charts.

What is the meaning of the "Rembrandt" term? (Aside from the painter himself)

Is it a kind of light? A situation?

Edit: from Wikipedia...

Rembrandt lighting is a lighting technique that is used in studio portrait photography. It can be achieved using one light and a reflector, or two lights, and is popular because it is capable of producing images which appear both natural and compelling with a minimum of equipment.

Rembrandt_lighting.png

Robert, I hadn't heard the term Rembrandt lighting myself either, but yes, it obviously originates from Rembrandts preferred light setup when painting portraits, as can be seen in this wonderfull self portrait.

Remarkable by the way, how loose and "casual" his strokes where - almost expressionistic, compared to the way people normally painted at that time.

Oh yes, the great Karloff and Lugosi! In fact I used the latter lighting technique on the mad policeman in "A Victim of Duty". Actually surprisingly difficult to handle if you want to get that expression, without it looking TOO cheasy :-)