sprockets Hans Donuts 3D Printing USS Midnight 1950s Street Car Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How do you make a foot in A:M?

Dpendleton77

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It highly depends on what you are after...

A simple foot is very easy to lathe and deform a little... or you could just draw it... if you after a complexer one it is the same priniziple as modelling a hand (by hand ;) ).

Here is a very unprofessional video-tutorial (approximately 10 minutes long) about how to model a simple foot and how to go on creating one with toes on it from the simple one... ;)

Hope it helps a little. Keep in mind, English is not my mother tongue and I experience some lags because of my video capturing software, but hopefully you still can see what I am doing here.

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: There is a little bug in v18 which prefents me from connecting open splines in a very easy way (using the shift-button) so I am doing it a little differently (at about 3:20 min), but it is easy enough to work around for now... just a little annoying...

creating_a_simple_foot.mp4

• Admin

The absolute easiest way to create a foot is to open a model with a foot and copy/paste the desired foot into a new model window.

Actually, that may be the second easiest way. The first would be to borrow a foot from someone else. ;)

Here's a foot that I believe has made the rounds on quite a few characters (this one came from the Hulk which might explain its lack of feminine characteristic)

It's old and the topology might not be entirely ideal but it is likely to be recognizable as a foot to most people.

And where it comes to modeling a foot from scratch it can be beneficial to study how others have approached it in their work.

Edit: Nice video Gerald!

foot.jpg

Foot.mdl

Have a look at my video at around 4:30 min...

it really is up to you where to start... I am starting with the basic foot shape and at the end of the video you will see that I start to add toes...

of course you can start with the toes too... whatever you want to do.

I am no friend of borrowing over and over again especially if you are not understanding how the borrowed thing was created. I call that a copy kid (which is a insult word in the programming world for a person which uses code from other people without understanding what s/he is doing and not being able to do it at their own). ;)

It means, that you will never create something better, you will very likely do the same mistakes over and over again and you will not know how to do something better.

It is faster, but it will keep your true potential down...

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

Hey, I like those hands. They have a really nice stylistic look. The kind like one might see in 'The Incredibles' or a Disney film which I often find appealing.

My primary critique would be that the width of the wrists seems a bit large in comparison to the hands... almost makes the hands look like gloves.

You are really starting to get a hand-le on this splining thing.

Keep it up!

Added: After seeing your posts/updates on your 'foots/feets' I started to wonder about best practices for rigging them!