sprockets Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

3D printing ( again )

Simon Edmondson

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

Without knowing specifics we can only guess.

I'd say two elements of the task were to explore 3D printing technology and to scratch an itch.

I note the 3D printer involved would not have even been on the market when the project was started so perhaps the company behind the printer helped fund the project as a way to get the word out about their product?

I can think of one good reason to use physical objects in a short film and that relates to the old world process of animation where cel drawings were produced. Having a tangible product related to the film allows the creators to use those physical products as a form of secondary income.,, or as incentives in the case of a kickstarter project. Some folks like to have a physical product associated with a project as a momento. The bottom line here is that when classic animation went all digital many savings were realized but an entire market of collectors (and appreciators) of the physical products involved in production found themselves without access to (physical) artwork.

It seems that people come up with ideas to explore new techniques but often fail because the end result is less than impressive. I suppose if they used articulated models the effect would along the lines of a Mr. Bill / Barbie Doll stop motion flick.

The resin used might have been better applied for prosthetic legs for all the toads that lose their limbs during the spring cleanup though that could be a daunting task in of itself.