Hash, Inc. Forums

Explosions

OK so for the SciFi contest I want to have an accurate looking explosion in the image. The image will involve multiple layers:

Background/Sky (Matte)

Terrain model for the middle ground (in AM)

My Warhammer Base (in AM)

Explosion (??)

Foreground Terrain (in AM)

Lead Character (in AM)

Now given I am going for a 'realistic' look and knowing how long it can take to render stuff, I am thinking that I will generate the explosion separately then apply it as a layer in AM. I want to create the explosion in AM if I can so I am thinking smoke and particles for the job. So deconstructing an explosion I have the blast and the shockwave.

The shockwave seems simple - concentric rings of rising dust clouds and some concentric wave displacement on the ground (or do this in the 'dust cloud')

The Blast will have multiple parts - the inner 'fire' comprising a particle system and streaks, smoke/clouds sourrounding the inner blast and particle matter (ie the stuff blown out.

Most happy to get other peoples takes and ideas on hwo to construct the explosion. Would I try to do it all in one or just do the bits and then combine the renders with alphas or something else?

Here are some examples I wish to emulate:

http://www.yourswallpaper.com/wallpaper/mi...osion-10628.htm

http://wall.alphacoders.com/big.php?i=115061

Cheers

• Hash Fellow

I don't think you should composite the final image unless there's no way to render it all at once.

Maybe it's feasible to render sprites separately but sprites aren't really all that time consuming unless you need shadows out of them.

If you have to composite them I suppose it might work like that way i composite "glow" in my "It Can't Be Done" tutorial.

• 1 month later...